North to Alaska comments

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JamesHromadka, Jul 2, 2003.

1. JamesHromadka

JamesHromadka Stunt Coordinator

North to Alaska has always been one of my favorite movies. I used to watch my parents' videotape all the time. I always wondered why the ending had the people all squished together to make them tall and skinny, and then I later learned that that was what some TV editors did instead of pan & scan on the ending titles.

Finally, today, I was able to purchase NtA, as I was in Malaysia on business when it was released. The DVD is fantastic! Having seen the full frame version so many times, I could really see a lot of things that I never saw in the TV showings. For example, in the scene where Sam is talking to Jenny, there is a cook in the kitchen that is off-screen on television. I think I saw a nipple when Angel is taking a bath, but that could just be wishful thinking. [​IMG]

Colors are sharp, and the 4.1 sound is nice, although it mostly comes from the front speakers. I have to say "Thank you Fox" for doing such a good job with this movie!

2. William D Cavender

William D Cavender Stunt Coordinator

I saw it theatrically on its first week out when I went to Hollywood High one day after school. I thought I saw the same thing.... After I bought the widescreen Ld I realized that I was only seeing flesh colored faberic.

3. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

Here's something you can see in North to Alaska.

If you go frame by frame during the big fight scene in a bar, you can see John Wayne's toupee go flying off as he reacts to a "screen punch".