What's new

North By Northwest on the Big Screen - Oakland, CA (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
Hey all, I just wanted to let you know that the Paramount Theatre in Oakland will be showing North By Northwest tomorrow (3/1) starting at 8pm.
ext347x.jpg

It's a great way to check out the beautiful Paramount Theatre, and tickets are only $5. They also have a mini concert with the "mighty wherletzer" (can't spell it), as well as a cartoon and a newsreel. Not a bad deal.
Here's the web site for the Paramount Theatre if anyone is interested.
See ya there!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I saw North By Northwest in the theatre here in Minneapolis about a year ago, and it was tons of fun (I had seen the movie before, but never on the big screen) It was cool to see it on the big screen.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I also saw NxNW last year at a special screening with an in-person introduction by Pat Hitchcock.

Mike, is the Paramount accessible by BART?

~Edwin

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Edwin or Nate,

How did NxNW look on the big screen? The DVD looked great, but it's my understanding that the original elements were not in good shape and it was the digital transfer that was cleaned up not a restorration of the film elements themselves.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

How long will it be at the theater? Spring Break is coming up and I could make a trip up there to see that movie (and tell the SO it's a "San Francisco" trip).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Warner has some decent 35mm prints of NxNW circulating. They have problems, but are very watchable. I saw one at the Detroit Film Theater a few years ago. The problem, as I understood it when explained to me, is that they don't have early genration large format (NxNW was shot in VistaVision) materials that are viable for producing new prints.

Regards,

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
There's a short clip of what North By Northwest looked like before the Lowry Digital Images restoration in the making-of doc on the DVD.

The color and clarity is actually pretty good, but there's dirt and scratches all over that scene.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The color and clarity is actually pretty good, but there's dirt and scratches all over that scene.
Turner and now Warner have been working with one or more 35mm dupes for a number of years to make NxNW prints. I imagine they are getting a little bit tired. The showing I saw was almost exactly five years ago. I would not call it pristine, but as I said, it was very "watchable". The odd-looking colors to Cary Grant's face & clothes that some have mentioned as a flaw of the LDI scrubbing for the DVD were almost exactly the same in the print I saw as they are on the DVD.

Regards,

MikeM

Screenwriter
Mike, is the Paramount accessible by BART?
Yes, it's very accessable to the downtown Oakland BART stations (12th street & 19th street)...19th street station is the closer of the two.
Yeah, unfortunately tonight is the only showing, so that's why I wanted to get the word out.
The good news is that they have other "movie classics" nights that they put on, so hopefully I'll be heading there more often!
Should be a blast, I wonder if for the sake of picture quality they just fire up the DVD on a projector, as opposed to showing the film. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks