What's new

nOrh speakers: Is it ok to mix 4.0 ceramic fronts with 6.1 synthetic marble center? (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I'm thinking of buying someone's 6.1 SM speaker as a center, and then some 4.0s for fronts. I think the recommended center is a 4.0 center, and I really don't know if I'll ever get 6.1 fronts. The thing is 6.1 for a pair new is $600, this guy is selling one for $150.
I don't know what to do - any nOrh owners in here please reply,
Mallow

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
Email Michael C. Barnes and ask him. I'm using 4.0s all around for HT only system and it's wonderful!

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I say do one of two things:

1. Use the great deal on the single 6.1 to defray the cost of the matching 6.1 fronts.

2. Just get 4.0s all around.

Someone with nOrhs should not have a 'mismatched' front soundstage IMHO. Ultimately, it is up to you, but I would chose one way or the other....

Rob Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
I think that it will sound OK, but if it were me I would buy the 6.1 and then a pair of them for the fronts instead of the 4.0's.

It is $200 more, but that Black SM is really beautiful.

From a few feet away it is dificult to tell it from the real thing. You would also have a seemless front 3 speakers, and that will increase your enjoyment of your HT system IMO.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
The problem is the cost here, it's $150 for this guys used one (which he said has 125 hours on it) - and $600 for a pair of new 6.1 SMs.
Now another guy is willing to sell me his 6.5s for $450.
Now, how are 6.5 fronts with a 6.1 Center?
I think I read barnes uses 9.0 marbles for front and a 5.1 for center!
Thanks for the info,
ELmO

Rob Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the wood and ceramic/marble/sm integrate as well as all wood, or all ceramic/marble/sm.

I think you will be happier if you had all 3 front speakers the exact same.

That is a very good price on the center speaker, if I were putting the HT system together, I would swoop on this speaker, and save up until I could afford the matching fronts. You could always go for the ceramic 4.0's now and when you could afford the matching fronts you could move the 4.0's to surround duties.

If it were me, I would swoop now and just wait until I could afford the matching fronts though.

Having all 3 front speakers identicle definately helps with getting immersed in the movie/concert IMO.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Yeah these are all ceramic/marble combos.

Yet, now my tax check is significantly lower than I was dreaming so I think I may just save money instead. I'll have enough money to buy front speakers and a center, and possibly rears - but I have to think if it's really worth it. For movies I'm fine right now, it's for music and radio where my speakers are really crap.

I think I'll survive with the junk I have right now, and wonder if maybe I should get an HDTV instead (27" Panasonic component right now).

-ELmO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks