nOrh speakers...complimentary amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack_Geo, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Jack_Geo

Jack_Geo Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

I just placed an order for the nOrh 5.1 video package...that's a pair of synthetic marble 5.1 main speakers, a ceramic 4.0 center, and a pair of ceramic 4.0 surroungs.

I'm pretty much starting from scratch on my system, and I liked the looks of the nOrhs. For $950, I think they'll be just fine for now.

I'm adding an SVS 25-31PCi to the mix for bass duty, and have an Outlaw 950 on order. It's probably overkill, but how can I pass it up for the price?

Anyway, my question is this: Does anyone have any experience with power amps mating with nOrh speakers? What sounds good, what to avoid?

I'm going to go used...and am thinking about Parasound...maybe a 2-channel (1000a?) and an 855? Maybe two 855's...it depends on what I find.

Rotel's another choice...

If anyone has some suggestions, I'd appreciate your input...and if there are any reasonable amps out there used, let me know.

Thanks

Jack

2. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

If you like Norh, I would check out their own LeAmps.

3. Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Ive never heard the LE amps, but I own 7.0's. They seem pretty good for $500, so I am sure they will be fine.

Dont rule out second hand. You should be able to get a whole lot more amp for your $$.

FWIW, I drive mine with a cyrus 3. Its a 2chan integrated. VERY good matchup, but there's no US cyrus dealer.

Whats your budget?

4. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

I am running the nOrh 4.0 video system with an Outlaw 750 amp and couldnt be happier. Mated the nOrhs with an SVS 20-39CS powered by an Adcom GFA-555II that was sitting around gathering dust. A great setup for both music and HT.

5. Jack_Geo

Jack_Geo Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions, guys...

Russel: I saw the LaAmps, but was kind of hoping to go the multi-channel route, rather than monoblock.

Peter: As far as my budget, it's about $1,000 for the amp(s)...less if at all possible. If I could pull off 7.1 for $1,000, that would be a bonus. I have no problems going second hand...am actively checking out Audiogon, eBay, Ubid, etc.

Terry: I'm definitely considering the Outlaw 755 or 770...but I guess I was trying to see what amps would mate well with the nOrh's that I could find on the used market for a lot less.

Thanks again...

Anyone else?

Jack