Norh 4.0 with Marantz SR5200, any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam_h, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Sam_h

Sam_h Auditioning

I just orderd the Norh 4.0 video system and need a reciever. The marantz 5200 seems like it has all the features I want (DPII, pre-amp out, DTS) but that 100hz crossover for the sub makes me iffy about getting it. I plan on getting an SVS sub with this setup. Anyone have any suggestions on how well this reciever would match?

2. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Sam,
    Please take this for what it's worth, as I'm a newbie. I bought the 4.0 setup combined with an SVS, and it sounds WONDERFUL. The two integrate very, very well together in my system. However, I'm crossing over at 80 Hz (that's where my Onkyo crosses over when speakers are set to small). I know that the SVS can probably do well up to 100 hz, but as you get into higher frequencies, it becomes easier to locate the sub with your ears.
    I'm not sure if this crossover is a serious issue, so maybe someone who has actually heard something crossed at 100 can comment?
    Good luck on the receiver. I suspect you'll be THRILLED with the performance of the speakers and sub you selected. :)
    John

3. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

My system is a little different than yours in that I have tower mains and no sub, with the SR-6200. I set my centre and rears to 'small,' letting my 'large' mains handle the bass. It sounds great to me.
    The crossover point has been discussed previously, and for the majority it seems to be a non-issue. All crossovers have overlap anyway, and require you to experiment with sub settings and placement to optimize sound.
    As for the sound quality of the SR-5200/6200/7200, they are without peer in their price range, IMO.

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I've got the norh 4.0/SVS combo crossed over at 80Hz. I've also heard the same combo crossed over at 90Hz (Yamaha receiver). My untrained ear can't tell the difference in bass blending. If you plan to put the sub(s) in the front then I don't think you'll have any problems.
    And yes, the norh/SVS combination is incredible.