What's new

Norah Jones - Million Copies In A Week (1 Viewer)

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
On a CNBC talk show this afternoon, I heard the numbers for her latest CD. Everyone in the discussion said the same thing about the numbers and how most of the sales were $9.99 to $12.99 for the new release. They agreed that the music industry should take heed that if they price good music at a fair price, people will buy instead of downloading.
I wonder if anyone is listening.

I bought the CD, did you?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
A million in a week! Damn!

I guess that sends a pretty strong message to the industry that a quality release with somewhat compressed sonics and no digital high-res version is a good way to make money. :frowning:

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
No to me it say's, produce one fantastic Hi-Res
disc, "Come away with me" to wet the appetite and then cut corners on the next title release.
Fool the public into purchasing the next release. :thumbsdown:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jerry, how were people fooled? The new album was never advertised as high-res. When you bought the CD, you knew it was just a standard redbook.

I haven't gotten around to buying it yet. I'm waiting for my next Columbia House order.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Mike,
I was not fooled completely, the general public may have been.
The sonic's of the first release are far superior to
this latest release. Hence the average public made their
purchasing decision based on the quality of the first release.
I purchased it, I love the artist, but yet returned the disc for a refund, the retailer had no problems issuing a cash refund.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This is more about retailer anticipation backed by her first album being a steady seller for the past 2 years or so. If the sell-through rate dwindles, the orders will stall out.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I'll buy the album if and when it's released on SACD. Even at $9.99 for the CD, I'd still end up paying well over $20 if I gave in now and had to double dip on a SACD version later.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I don't think the general public is as concerned with the sonics of this or most CDs they purchase. Most people listen to CDs in their car and aren't interested in the resolution or compare it from one CD to another.

I think the sales of this CD were based on the success of the last CD. That's why I bought it for $9.99. It won't reach the success of the first CD, but who has had as big a suceess with their 2nd album as their first?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

The album is in the top 10 best selling albums in its first week of all time.

Since I plan to order this via Columbia House, I'll be paying like 3-5 bucks for it, so it would be no big deal to double dip.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm not surprised. Back in the early 90's, before internet filesharing, Pearl Jam's VS. sold something like 900,000 its first week.

Norah's crowd probably isn't filled with young, free-music downloading types. Not to make a total generalization, as there are always exceptions, but *most* of the people I know who download free music are 1) pretty young, and 2) don't listen to Norah.

So good, viable, reasonably priced music still sells. That is good news for those of us who actually purchase our music, but hate the $18.99 sticker price that the record labels tried to foist on us for the last decade or so.

Aaron D

Stunt Coordinator
[flame suit on] I'm sorry in advance, but I may have missed the point of the thread. IMHO, the actual PERFORMANCE of the music on this CD is stellar, absolutely more of the same (and yet somehow different) Norah that we became infatuated with last time around.

My stupid haggling point is this: Before super-stardom, Come Away With Me was originally released as the "low-fidelity" redbook CD (of which I bought copies for my entire family). The SACD version of Come Away With Me only became available relatively recently, and I'm hopeful an SACD of the new one will be released as well. [flame suit off]

I bought the new album and have been totally thrilled. Look forward to the SACD.

A

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I love the songs and performance on the disc, but sound quality has definitely fallen.

Jeez, you would think Blue Note would make a clean recording in 2004; they did way back in the 60s on some great jazz albums.

Yes, but it was a fairly decent sounding redbook as redbooks go...

By the way, I bought the new album for just $10 at Target. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit

Carlo, I was beginning to think that I was the only one here, (been here a long time) that held this perspective. Good music, for a fair price will sell whether the so called 'Sonics' are up to snuff or not. Please don't get me wrong, I like great sounding music too, but that was not the point of the first post in this thread.

Thanks Carlo

Bill

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

[heavy sarcasm]

Heretic. More interested in the music than the mastering/engineering. What are we going to do with you?

[/heavy sarcasm]

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
OK, im a few months off in buying music. I just got the new Norah J CD last weekend and have finally had time to hear it. WOW THE FIRST SONG SINGS!!! Ive heaard it on the radio for a while but on my setup, it really is on par with the first CD.

BUT WTF IS UP WITH THE REST???

OK, ill only pick on the second song, because I think I was soooooo disapointed in the second song, I gave up on the rest. Norah's voice distorts!!! BAD!!! to the point that I couldnt listen to it. DAMN is it my stereo???, popped in her DVD, and her first CD, NOPE, sounds fab.
Shit, WTF. Does anyone else notice this???

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
OK, im a few months off in buying music. I just got the new Norah J CD last weekend and have finally had time to hear it. WOW THE FIRST SONG SINGS!!! Ive heaard it on the radio for a while but on my setup, it really is on par with the first CD.

BUT WTF IS UP WITH THE REST???

OK, ill only pick on the second song, because I think I was soooooo disapointed in the second song, I gave up on the rest. Norah's voice distorts!!! BAD!!! to the point that I couldnt listen to it. DAMN is it my stereo???, popped in her DVD, and her first CD, NOPE, sounds fab.
Shit, WTF. Does anyone else notice this???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.