Norah Jones Live In New Orleans DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_eb, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I just ordered this from DDD and was wondering if anyone can comment on A/V quality? Also, what is the length of the concert?

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'm intrigued by this title, too, and have been having no easy time finding details. No DTS or PCM stereo track? Video format? I just don't know... I fear it might be an inferior product dumped on the market to cash in on the post-Grammy noms/wins hype.

But I can't wait for the "Come Away With Me" SACD to be released 4/22!

3. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

The DVD comes with a 5.1 DD track, and I believe a PCM track.

From what I've heard, no DTS.

The video is 1.33, the way it was filmed.

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I just ordered this as well. I figured at this price, I can't go too wrong. Even if it is not the best of quality, I'm not out too much money.

5. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

I picked it up yesterday for $10.00. Watched last night. It's about an hour long. With two extra songs. Very nice picture quality and the sound in 5.1 is very well done. I used THX music mode on my Pre/Pro and instrument placement in 5 channel was pretty good. For $10.00 I'd say it was a steal. She's very cute and has some good musicians to back her up. A pretty laid back show but I enjoyed it.

6. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

I'm watching/listening to it right now.

I'll agree that the video is surprisingly crisp, but the 5.1 is wasted in terms of creating a soundstage. The bass sounds very nice, but the surround effects (with the exception of some of the applause being sent to the rears) are nothing that couldn't be accomplished with ProLogic processing, in my opinion. (By the way, the audio in the pre-concert footage sounds horribly compressed, but it only lasts a minute or two, and isn't part of the concert itself.) The concert itself still sounds quite nice, but it was a missed opportunity.

I'm with Rich...hopefully, the SACD will fill that need quite nicely.

7. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I ordered this a couple of days ago, when I found out from some other thread it was releasing this week.

Haven't gotten a music/concert DVD in a LONG time, but at this price, with this artist, I figured it was a worthhwhile flyer. (I've been to a few shows at the House of Blues in New Orleans, too, which was also a small factor in getting it, reviews-unseen.)

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I've only had a chance to listen through headphones at work, but through those it sounds great.

9. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Picture quality: very good.

Audio quality: not bad, not spectacular either.

Deer-in-the-headlights-quotient: very high. She seems genuinely frightened at times.

Final impression: feels like this was tossed-off very quickly, to cash in on the (ridiculous, I'm sorry) Grammy haul. It's like those hats they make for the winner (and loser) of the Super Bowl: something you have to have available for right after the Big Win.

10. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

11. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

FYI: (Originally posted in the Coupons & Bargains section)

If you're willing to wait, DeepDiscountDVD has
    [​IMG]
    Norah Jones - Live in New Orleans DVD for $10.79 (including FREE Shipping of course).

Phil

12. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

13. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

"Diana Krall Live In Paris" it's not, but it is very enjoyable and sounds pretty darn good too!

If you like Miss Jones you need to pick this disc up. [​IMG]

14. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I still have to wonder why in 2003 anyone is still filming or taping programs such as this in the 4:3 aspect ratio.

For use on digital TV and DVD this should be shot on Hi-Def video for 16:9 presentation. For such a "hot" artist this should be a given.

15. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I finally watched it today and can say I was quite happy with the 5.1 mix.

16. Richard Gilmore

Richard Gilmore Stunt Coordinator

17. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I better hide after this post...

After watching this a couple of times, and after hearing the album for the umpteenth time (Norah's stuff broke in NYC long before the album became mainstream around the country; she performed on WFUV, and her EP was pretty easy to find early on) I'm a little bored with the music. The only track on the DVD that really moves me is her terrific cover of the "Basement Tapes" tune, "Bessie Smith," which I no longer think of as a throwaway.

She could use a little more of this type of material in her repertoire.

Just a thought. I do like her quite a bit, and I'm very excited about her next move, whatever that may be.

18. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Greg_C_T,

There is a chain store up here in the NW called Fred Meyers. The original price on the DVD is $12.99 and it was on sale for the first week. Actually it was $9.99 plus tax. Sounds like a good price even at the stores original selling price.

19. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I think I read that she is soon to record her next album, planned for release in September.