1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Norah Jones "Feels Like Home" SACD?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike Likens, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have information on a SACD release for this title? It sure would be great for a day and date release with the CD.

2. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

I'm not even sure it has been confirmed as an sacd release.. i doubt it will be day and date if it does come out.

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

In another thread, it was mentioned that Blue Note was less than enthused with the sales of the first Jones SACD and has no plans at this time for release of the second album. A SACD may come down the road, but right now there is zero shot of a day and date release as the disc comes out in 2 days.

J

4. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

5. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

The demand just isn't there, regardless of the comments made on the BlueNote forum, this forum or on the AA.

6. Justin Lane

Oh so true. People still scoop up the redbook left and right of her original release, but have no clue the album is available as a Hybrid, or for that matter have a clue what SACD is actually.

I would love to see her second disc on SACD, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

J

7. Justin Lane

Thats a good point. With alot of good music still coming out on vinyl, I might have to invest in getting my TT setup up to date again.

J

8. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

It is a bit unfair for Blue Note to deem the SACD of Norah Jones' first CD as a failure. The SACD was released at least a year after the redbook released and had already sold millions of copies. If the SACD had been released within months of the redbook version, I am sure the SACD would have sold better.

9. Marc Colella

Marty,

The CD was still selling very well after the SACD was released. In fact, the CD is still doing well today and remains on many charts (Billboard has it at #25).

Blue Note knows that a hi-rez release wouldn't gain them enough extra revenue to make it worthwhile.

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

It's a terrible dissapointment. I think Norah could do well to release a single-SKU hybrid SACD and do very well by it. She'd also probably encourage some SACD attention by doing so.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well, I'll buy the RBCD since most places are selling it for $9.99. That's not too bitter a pill if I have to double dip later on down the line. But I don't want to miss out on first-week pricing especially if it jumps up to $14.99-$17.99 later on and no SACD ever shows up.

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

So they're not gonna do a hybrid because people didn't buy the first one.

But people didn't buy the first one because they didn't do a hybrid (day and date)!

Argh.

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Marty,

I am not sure there is any official evidence that Blue Note feels this way. I have seen chatter on Audio Asylum but nothing official.

I think its still possible we see more Super Audio from Blue Note. It all depends on the growth in the format.

[​IMG]

14. Michael St. Clair

Was the previous release subsidized, due to the sudden popularity caused by the Grammy?

15. Marc Colella

Depends on your definition of "official".

They didn't have a press release and advertised it on their site, but have indicated this was the case in their e-mail replies.

I think their e-mail replies qualify as solid evidence.

16. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

Why not a hybrid-only release? There wouldn't be an issue with poor sales if there was only one release. Stop confusing people with multiple releases. Charge a dollar more, no one would care (no one would notice).

17. Michael St. Clair

Her last CD sold 18 million units worldwide.

People obviously don't care that there is no high-res layer. If it ain't broke, why try to fix it?

Us high-res folks are a niche, a gnat on the ass of the record industry.

Blue Note isn't Sony, and they aren't Warner. They don't want to grow formats, they want to sell assloads of records at the best margin possible.

Why is this so hard to understand?

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

What email replies?

Sorry to be skeptical Marc, but after the whole DSOTM on DVDA thing, I'm no longer content to take web rumors or plain statements at face value.

19. Marc Colella

I don't blame you one bit, since the internet isn't neccesarily the best place to get the facts... which is why I e-mailed Blue Note myself.

Actually, I mentioned it in the middle of a thread a few weeks back - to which you also replied.

Here's the thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&pagenumber=1

Of course, you can still consider it an internet rumor if you choose no to believe me. That's entirely up to you.

20. Michael St. Clair

So when Lee tells us that he has secret unnamed sources in the industry that tell us things that cannot be confirmed, we are supposed to always take it at face value.

But when any of our other very own forum members tells us that he was told something directly by a record label, we are supposed to assume he is a big fat liar.

[​IMG]