Noob's first DIY Tempest almost done...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JamesThompson, Dec 4, 2003.

1. JamesThompson

First off, thanks to the board as a whole for the loads of info that convinced me to go the DIY sub route. I'm moving up from a Sony WM-40, so I'm hoping for a noticable improvement.

My Tempest enclosure is set to the gigantic Adire Alignment. I'm trying to mod the looks of the box to match some current furniture. I'm getting close, but I'm still working on getting some stain on the oak dark enough to match dark cherry. I've got until next Wed to figure it out. That's when my driver is to arrive. Can't wait. [​IMG]

Here's a link to the pics I've been snapping along the way.

65.35.82.154:8000/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=21 (sorry, can't post a real link yet)

I'll be sure and make another post on my impressions when I get things wrapped up.

- James

2. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

The link does not work for me.

ps- I also use coppermine photo gallery software! I love it!

Ronnie

3. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

I also love Coppermine! Can't wait to see what it looks like.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Here's the link to the sub that James is building:

Photos

5. JamesThompson

Thanks for fixing the link. I've been using Coppermine for several months and I think it's great! I just wish adding pics to albums was a little more automated. Maybe just dump the pic in the folder to add, instead of going through the interface to add. Oh well, can beat free software! [​IMG]

- James

6. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

It looks very nice James! Should be a nice step up from the Sony and a nice Christmas present to yourself.[​IMG]

7. Ronnie Ferrell

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

James,

That looks great! Maybe I can finally make it to Cocoa to visit my grandmother this summer. If so, I'll have to run down A1A to Melbourne after I make my trip to Ron Jon's! I haven't been down there in almost 7 years and all my T-shirts are starting to get ratty! [​IMG]

9. JamesThompson

Ronnie:

yep, using batch add. That makes things pretty simple, but the last photo album app I used examined the directory structure under the "Albums" directory to decide how to generate the albums/thumbnails/etc. I forget the name, but I found it on FreshMeat. The interface is MUCH nicer under coppermine, though.

(Just remembered the name...IDS)

I'm hoping to get the thing buttoned up and stained this weekend, but I saw the weather forcast and it'll be down in the 60's all day. Brrrr!

- James

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Brrr!? It never broke 40 all day yesterday here. Thankfully we cleaned out part of the shop and can now do our cabinet finishing in the front section of the shop where we actually have some heat! [​IMG]

11. Ronnie Ferrell

In the 60's all day! [​IMG] Cry me a river! Get your butt out there and stain that thing already! [​IMG]

BTW: nice looking sub there! Have you had it playing yet? I'm guessing no because it would still be raw MDF! [​IMG] I hooked mine up to play with it for a while before veneering and finishing it up. It stayed that way for 10 months!

The only thing I don't like about coppermine is that it brings my FreeBSD server to a grinding halt when batch adding a lot of photos at once. It's like walk away and get a cup of coffee slow. It's the first piece of software that has really taxed my server. I think it is actually ImageMagick ripping the thumbs and normal pics that cripples my server.

Ronnie

12. JamesThompson

Guess I've been in FL long enough that 60's is freekin freezing. [​IMG]

If I had the driver and amp I would have tried it out already, but both are on their way. While I'm on that topic, I ordered it from Acoustic Visions. Easy to order, quick response from Kyle, and shipped same day. [​IMG] [​IMG] Two thumbs up from me.

I added Coppermine when I updated my server with my latest hand-me-down parts from my real machine. Went from a Cel466 with an anchient 2G drive to an AthlonXP 1600 with a 40G 7200rpm maxtor. Much, much, better.

I'm hoping for a similar improvement with the new sub.

- James