Noobie questions regarding Plasma calibration and Dolby Ture HD?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by orangeblast, Sep 29, 2006.

1. orangeblast

orangeblast Auditioning

Sep 26, 2006
    Just started getting my home theater going....nothing TOO crazy...but deffinitly pretty good.

58 inch Panasonic Plasma

the HTR-6090 A/V reciever

JBL Studio series speakers

monster cable and so on...

with that current setup of mine will Dolby True HD work? Will i need to get 7 speakers becuase its 7.1? I only have 5.1 right now.

and why do you have to calibrate your plasma...Never heard of that!
  2. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

Jun 17, 2006
    You should be fine, as long as the player itself has the proper decoder, and this will depend on the manufacturer of the Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player. Both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD claim stream compatibility via either an HDMI connection to a HDMI-equipped receiver or processor, or through analog bypass straight to the receiver/processor's preamp inputs (very much like SACD and DVD-A is traditionally connected).

To answer the second question, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD are both capable of downmixing to 5.1 channel if you're not in a hurry to add additional speakers. For these new formats, this upgrade does make a lot more sense, however. Current "7.1" receivers and processors matrix the two additional channels of audio and are therefore not truly discrete. The new formats offer true 7.1 surround.

Lastly, what is meant by "calibration" is tweaking the picture on your TV to achieve the best color accuracy. Straight from the factory, the typical TV manufacturer defaults the picture settings to abnormally high contrast and brighness levels, and they do this ON PURPOSE. They want their display models to stand out in retail stores, because it's common knowledge to them that the uneducated public (which will represent 90% of consumers) perceive a brighter image with overexposed colors as "better". Typically, turning down the default brightness and contrast to reasonable levels will vastly improve things, in addition to prolonging the life of the screen. Videophiles on the other hand tend to swear by professional ISF calibrations.