1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Noobie question about speakers

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by maxcreed2015, Mar 12, 2019.

1. maxcreed2015

maxcreed2015 Auditioning

Maximiliano
    So, I have a dumb question. I have a LG LHB625M Home Theater Blu-Ray System and I would like to upgrade it's center channel speaker to a Sony SS-CS8 Center Speaker because it saturates at high volumes. My Home Theater System has 1000 watts of power and each speaker, according to the manual, has 167w. The Sony SS-CS8 has 145w of maximum power. I was wondering if the change could be done or if it could have something of a compatibility issue or something like that.

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I can't find the info needed to even give an educated guess, so it'll have to be an educated shot in the dark.

Units like your LG tend to be highly proprietary "closed" systems. Meaning they are designed to work with the components in the set, and nothing else. You can probably work out a way to connect that Sony speaker, but how loud it plays with it could actually be significantly lower than the speaker it came with. You're maxing out something. The center speaker, the amp, or both. It's impossible for me to know. The fact is, this system is just not built to play loud, despite the claims. What I CAN tell you is, there is no way the LG has 1,000 watts. I know they claim it does, but it probably doesn't even have 100 watts. Another speaker could, and probably does, require a lot more power to play loud, and your amp probably can't provide nearly enough. This isn't a fair comparison, but I have a genuine 1,000 watt amp (5x200) and it weighs 80 lbs. You can spend $4,000 on a top of the line surround receiver, and it probably can't legitimately put out 1,000 watts.

So, what can you do? All you really can do is try it. I wouldn't expect much. If you want an improvement, you probably just need to start over with a regular surround receiver and standard speakers.

3. maxcreed2015

maxcreed2015 Auditioning

Maximiliano
    Oh, I see. That's what I wanted to know, because that speaker is worth 120 dollars, and the shipping to my country is worth 100 dollars more. I don't want to buy something that I don't know if it works or maybe could potentially damage my system or the speaker. Thanks for the reply! Guess I'll have to build a new system with a receiver.

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Yeah, if you can't try something risk free, it's not worth trying.