Noobie Planning a New Projection System

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Larry_Brown_Sr, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Larry_Brown_Sr

Larry_Brown_Sr Auditioning

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and while I've had a Denon "home theater" system for a few years, we're looking to take the plunge into a REAL Home Theater (HT) Setup. The plan is for a Projection system in the girlfriend's basement (she calls it the 'lower level' - LOL!).

Right now it's framed open space. We have shopped a bit (Tweeter, Hippo's, etc) but each of these places has ONLY had one projection system set up in their store - everything else is Plasma/LCD/DLP, etc. How can you compare projectors/screens this way? Does anyone know of a great dealer in the Northeast who has several projectors/screens set up in a way that allows for comparison shopping? Ideally I would love it if they had several screens setup in-line so that you can SEE the difference between a $1000 fixed screen and a $3000 retractable and everything in between -- same thing with different projectors setup in the same system. We are willing to take a day trip anywhere from Maine to DC, if it will allow us to better spend on money on the right components for us. Does anyone have any recommendations???

Also, since I am new to this level of HT, what magazines, websites, etc would everyone recommend for reviews, comparisons, etc? We are looking at approximately $10,000 in the electronics (Projector, screen, receiver, front and center speakers, and cables - I will reuse my old speakers for the rears and try to do as much of the install ourselves as possible) and would appreciate any and every recommendation you all would care to share.

Thanks and hope to hear from you all!

Larry and Dona

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well you can't go wrong with the HTF. [​IMG]

www.projectorcentral.com is a good source for comparing projectors. They even have an online screen size calculator.

www.avsforum.com is another massive forum with lots of information.

And my favorite site before I buy anything is www.epinions.com

Good luck and keep us posted.

3. Larry_Brown_Sr

No one knows of a great place to demo Projectors in the northeast????? I'm truly amazed! There HAS to be a place that is set up for A/B comparissons, doesn't there?

4. raymond caputo

raymond caputo Stunt Coordinator

larry...thats what i'm trying to find out...i live in suffolk county new york, and can't find anyone that stocks projectors, never mind demo one..i'm looking at some of the different models via the internet and some of them look like there made out of plastic...anyway i hate to buy something without seeing how it performs....

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to displays

6. Matt Parsons

Matt Parsons Stunt Coordinator

There's a great store down around the Philly area that has several (6-10) separate rooms w/different projector setups. I was there for a training gig and it's been awhile so I can't think of the name. If it comes to me I'll post it - but maybe someone in the Philly area can help w/the name.......?

Try changing the Title of the post so people know what your looking for - like "Need Front Projector store in N. East"

Good luck either way and Welcome!

7. Larry_Brown_Sr

Thanks Matt.....if and when you think of the store name - we'd be thrilled to road trip there for our peice of minds sake in choosing the RIGHT projector/technology for us!

Thanks,

Larry