What's new

Noob with a soundbar question (1 Viewer)

steve 9atx

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Grossman
I have a little TV den, 11'-0" wide by 12'-3" deep with an 8'-6" ceiling. The Mrs has forbidden me to have any "obvious" speakers and has limited me to a 55" wide TV that fits, centered, between the entry door and a closet door casing on the 11' wall. Hoping to get the most sound for the buck, I have ordered a Yamaha YSP-5600 sound bar (she will permit the sound bar) and will be using an old M&K 10" sub with it. I think the sub is adequate for the room (1145 cu ft) but most importantly, it conveniently "disappears" on one side of the leather couch as my larger sub does not.

In any case, the sub has a "low pass filter" dial that goes from 40 Hz to 200 Hz and then to "bypass". The auto setup directions for the speaker bar says to set the sub at "max crossover high cut" while setting up the system for the room.

Two questions: 1.) what is the "max crossover high cut" setting for my sub, 200 Hz? and 2.) what do I reset the sub to once the setup process is finished. I suppose someone with experience with the YSP-5600 can tell me if the program recommends a cutoff setting for the sub after its finished setting up the speaker bar for the room.

Any help is most appreciated.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A “low pass filter” passes only the bass by “cutting the highs,” so it means the same thing. As such, set the M&K to “bypass.” If the soundbar instructions say to bypass the sub’s built-in filter, that means it will supply the filtering itself. Thus, nothing to “reset the sub to” after the auto setup.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks