Noob who needs suggestions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Karl_S, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Karl_S

Karl_S Auditioning

Hi. I'm totally new to all of this but I also finally decided it was time to invest in a home theatre. I haven't really even gone to the stores yet to look but was hoping y'all could give me some suggestions on what might be good before I do. I'm looking to spend between $500 and $900. I already have a DVD/VCR and a CD player. I'll be using it for both listening to music and watching movies (probably each equally as far as time goes). What do y'all suggest?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Karl.

The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, as opposed to offering specific component advice. And since we don't have a section devoted to systems in their entirety, A/V Sources becomes the default.

Best of luck in putting together your system.

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Get a Dolby/DTS5.1 receiver, I'd suggest a lowend Denon for under $500. Then get 5 speakers plus a subwoofer. Your DVD player should have a digital audio output that provides the 5.1 audio channels to the receiver. Later you should add a HDTV display and an HDTV tuner.

4. Karl_S

Karl_S Auditioning

What speakers would you suggest? I'd just like a few ideas so that when I go to look at this stuff I can just listen to these as opposed to all of them.

5. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

At $900,

you can really shop around and find a Klipsch Quintet for around $600 with a KS10 subwoofer.

With the $300, you can get an HK130. If you need component inputs, then you have to go with the JVC's, Sony's, etc.

6. John S

John S Producer

At $900 you have a lot of choices for sure.....

Any specific requirements?

I'd suggest at least a 6.1 setup, and with HDTV come'n on fast, maybe try for some component video swithcing of 50mhz or higher.

Here is a decent bargain sub:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    Search for the Sony SA-WM500 12" 150 Watts Powered Subwoofer Listed at like $135

Here is a great bargain receiver:
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=157373

Here are some bargain decent speakers: (get 3 pair for 6.1)
    http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...90&svbname=293

This is a bargain system that would totally rock, on movies and music. But are just bargain suggestions. With $900 you could probably get better on all pieces and still make the around $900 mark.