What's new

Noob question...not sure if I want widescreen or not (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My Panasonic HDTV RPTV will only squeeze 1080i material, not 480i/480p. But when I get my Samsung SIR-T165 HDTV receiver, it's supposed to be able to upconvert both 480i and 480p to 1080i, so that's how I'll be watching my DVDs in their 16x9 encoded format.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

I didn't know that...I thought after Toshiba went with the squeeze for 480p for the 4:3 sets, that nobody was left.

540p should also lock into 16:9, but I don't think anybody is making a 540p player yet.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hanson Yoo wrote:
When I had a SD WS set, it was a problem because the scanlines were so big it could be distracting.

Most HD sets today have line doublers that correct that problem. Like I said, Titanic, in zoom mode, has a picture quality comparable to anamorphically enhanced DVD's on my set. Also, many sets have 3:2 pulldown not to mention progressive players coming in at under $200 to correct the aliasing.
Then maybe this is only an issue w/ some 16x9 HDTVs, including my new Panny. Non-16x9 DVDs, including Titanic, in zoom mode using the Panny's 3:2 pulldown does NOT look like 16x9 DVDs using the same linedoubler. I definitely see scan lines most of the time although I might be getting used to it now. Still, the picture does not look nearly as good even when I don't notice scan lines.

Since I'm trying to hold out for a new player w/ the Faroudja 2300 chip like the Philips 963, I'm actually avoiding most of my non-16x9 DVDs and sticking to 16x9 ones for now. Hopefully, the wait won't be too long.

_Man_

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The scaling function used to fill a 16:9 screen with letterboxed sources (like my laserdiscs...which no Faroudja 2300 DVD player will process) is implemented separately in many sets from the deinterlacing function. A set may have a superior deinterlacer and poor scaling.

The only 16:9 sets that I find to scale letterboxed material really well are the ones from Pioneer.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Non-16x9 DVDs, including Titanic, in zoom mode using the Panny's 3:2 pulldown does NOT look like 16x9 DVDs using the same linedoubler.
Yes, ANYTIME you blow up an image, you decrease the perceived resolution. I could never seriously consider the opinion of anyone who said that a blown-up non-anamorphic image looks as good as straight anamorphic.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
99% of TV's shows on the air today are 4:3. That includes NEW cartoons, NEW Star Trek series, sports, news, weather, TV sitcoms, TV dramas, and on and on....
I dunno -- the new Star Trek series looks letterboxed to me. Maybe you have a magical 4:3 set.

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
WOW! Thanks for all the responses, everything is so clear to me now...ha! The more I think about it, I can get a 36" 4:3 Sony HS/XBR model for cheaper than the 34" 16:9 XBR and still have almost the same size 16:9 screen and still have the 4:3 for current viewing? I mean, in the future when everything is supposedly 16:9 I will just have to deal with the black bars...but I will still have about the same size screen than if I went with the 34 16:9 instead of the 36" 4:3. Is this logic correct? I mean...

34" 16:9 = 28" 4:3
36" 4:3 = around 34" 16:9

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
and then there are people like me whose a/v cabinets won't hold anything bigger[or wider]than a 27inch 4:3 HDTV ready set

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
KevinJ wrote:
and then there are people like me whose a/v cabinets won't hold anything bigger[or wider]than a 27inch 4:3 HDTV ready set
Buy a new A/V cabinet! :D
I certainly can't imagine letting an A/V cabinet limit me to a 27".
_Man_

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hanson,
You have attributed a quote of mine to somebody else, or vice versa. You have specifically worded your (somewhat mean-spirited) response to make it sound like all of the quotes were made by the same person. I do not appreciate my comments being taken out of context by being mixed with the comments of others. :thumbsdown:

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
And then...
...there are poor college students like me who can't afford anything bigger than a 27" 4:3 non-HDTV ready set. :eek:
Oh well, I can always sell my soul or something for a widescreen HDTV. :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, folks, let's try to be civil, there's no need to return intended/unintended slights with more of the same. If you have a problem, please use the "report this post" and we'll try to sort it out.

Thanks, and continue on with the discussion on RPTV form factors/features.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
it's not just my cabinet that limits the size of the tv i use the room it's in [my bedroom]is only about 10x10 btw

Robert Standefer

Stunt Coordinator
While Enterprise is in widescreen, it's letterboxed. That means it is 4:3, not 16:9. Don't give people the impression that letterboxed television shows work the same way as anamorphic DVDs.

-Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks