What's new

Noob needs a little help. (1 Viewer)

JakeGreen

Stunt Coordinator
I am fairly new to HT, but I do know quite a bit about stereo and I very knowledgable about car audio. Anyway, on to my question. I want to build a cheap, but decent center channel speaker for my HT setup that I am putting together. What are some good components to use, where do I find them, and what do I need to know about doing this?

Price range under $100? I don't know what home audio components cost. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
It is very difficult and time consuming to build a speaker better than one you could buy for $100. It can be done if you take your time and do the research. If you want to go this route then pick up the loudspeaker design cookbook by Vance Dickason. This will teach you how to pick drivers, design a crossover and enclosure. Check out www.Partsexpress.com or www.adireaudio.com for parts.

JakeGreen

Stunt Coordinator
I am willing to put the time into it. I have a copy of the loudspeaker design cookbook. I just wanted to know if there was a typical brand/model that is good bang for the buck. I am thinking about running 2 - 5.25's and a single tweet. If someone could point out some speakers that would work, that'd be great.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
One thing to consider is that you don't want a center channel that has a different timbre (tonal quality) than your two main speakers. It'll sound pretty odd as the dialog or action moves from side to side. The Audax woofers and Morel tweeter that Vance chose are well accepted and reasonably priced although it does exceed your budget by $20 for the drivers alone. Many have built and enjoyed the Audax Home Theater System.
http://www.madisound.com/audaxhometheater.html

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd recommend against the MTM alignment at this price and go for a simply TM of higher quality instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks