What's new

Noob needing Advice (1 Viewer)

sixxxgauge

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
I am new to the pc tv concept and was wanting to ask a few questions:

I am thinking about purchasing Westinghouse LVM-42w2 42" LCD Monitor, also Nvidia Dual TV Tuner Card.
What I want to do Is put the 42" monitor in my living room and using my computer (3.2 ghz processor 2 gig ram wirless card) hooking into the vga input on the Monitor. I also have cable, but have never tried hooking it up to a computer.
What my main plan is running my cable into the Nvidia tuner card, using media center recording the cable shows I want and viewing them through the Westinghouse monitor. Using the wireless connection connecting to my network to save and view other movies/shows I have on my server. Also I have my xbox 360 wireless I could play on the LCD monitor as well.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible or if there is another way to do this. Or maybe if there is any better products out there then the stuff I have planned to buy? basically I want to be able to record my fav. stuff and save to my server and be able to rewatch any show from my server on the monitor.

Thanks in advance,
Travis

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
First I would see what your cable signal looks like through your tuner card.

Second, I'm not sure who your cable provider is, but TWC as well as other cable companies are changing over to "switched digital" service. I was talking to a local cable installer yesterday, I don't understand the entire process but here is my understanding as he stated. The current Bandwidth is going to be cleared up to allow for more HD content. The way they are going to do this is by something called "Switched Digital" Customers with Digital service and HD Service will see a change in the near future. Many cities have started the changeover already. What Happens is The BASIC,BASIC. is still available in analog. (about 25 or less channels) The Rest of the Channels are going to rely on a cable box. Instead of the Cable company sending all Channels to you 24/7 your cable box will talk directly to thier server and send you only the current channel the box is calling for.(more like your web browser that calls up a site(IP) address. You'll only get one "Browser" per Cable box. That's how they are clearing up bandwidth on the Cable, They can squeeze 5-10 digital channels in the same frequency that the current analog channels are using up. So your Cable that your Tuner card will be extremely limited in the near future. And will only recieve the worst of cable... the analog end and Extremely limited channels. Probably just your locals.

If someone has a better description of how this Switched digital works please follow up.

I just started a new Thread in the Audio/Video Sources. You may want to watch that thread.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=243473

sixxxgauge

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
thanks for your post. I will have to check out what type of cable they are using. But for the other stuff is what I have possible? I mean the monitor and the computer? Or is there some other way of doing this?

thanks,
Travis

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
You should be fine. You'll have to check the max resolution of the tv and have you video card set to output no higher then the max of the tv. Does your video card have 2 VGA outputs? Or is the TV going to be your only monitor? You might have to either add or upgrade your video card if you want to run multiple VGA outputs. Otherwise you should be fine.

The x-box.. that you'll probably have to connect directly to your tv or run through your surround system if you have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks