Noob looking for HTPC advice

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Greg Palma, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Greg Palma

Greg Palma Auditioning

I'm basically looking to build a HTPC with the basic function of playing DVDs with a Sammy DLP as the display monitor. I have no intention of connecting this machine to the internet and have no interest in gaming. I also want to use the machine as an audio playback/storage device, ripping all my CDs to the hard disk, and basically doing away with the CDP since my sound system would be receiving audio direct from the souncard...at least that's my intention.

A friend of mine gave me some unused hardware: a 2600xp mobile and an AN7 mobo. I know they're a little long in the tooth now, but would I be able to build upon this hardware for what I have in mind?

Sorry to ask a tedious question here, but I can't seem to sort through AVS. [​IMG]

Any suggestions or hardware recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated.

2. Greg Palma

Greg Palma Auditioning

Okay, I wasn't able to do a search before and now I just came with a bunch of stuff. I have some reading to do. Sorry about that.

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

4. Greg Palma

Greg Palma Auditioning

One question I did have would be about the soundcard. I currently have the DIGI96/8 PAD, which absolutely crushes my CDP in terms of 2 channel audio. Are there better alternatives out there, or can I continue to use the RME for 2 channel audio and pass the digital signal to my 47TX for decoding? Are there any soundcards with multichannel analog out capabilities I should be looking into?