noob here...question about powering multiple speaker pairs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Allen_Rosen, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Allen_Rosen

Allen_Rosen Auditioning

Hi

I have a Sony DE897 receiver. On my 'A' speaker channel, I have a standard 5.1 speaker setup. My 'B' channel is going to a Monster 6-way impedance matching speaker switch, which is going to 6 different pairs of speakers throught my house.

The problem that I am having is that when I have both the 'A' abd 'B' channels on at the same time, the 'A' speakers are much louder than any of the 'B' speakers. I sort of assumed that this would be the case before I began this project, but now I need to fix it, and I don't really know how. So, my questions are:

1. Is there a way to reduce the power on the 'A' speakers independently of the 'B' speakers on this receiver?

OR

2. Should I use another amplifier to make the feed to deliver more power to my 'B' speakers? If so, what are some suggestions for equipment, can I do it inexpensively, and how would it be connected?

OR

3. Is there something else that I should do?

Thanks for your advise!

Allen

2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

So are you driving SEVEN pairs of speakers at the same time???
    [​IMG]

I would recommend you get a multi-channel poweramp, perhaps one of the Sherbournes. Use a multi-way pre-amp to control each speaker level. And speaker pair will have it's own poweramp.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Use an external amp in the method John states, and possibly the Zone 2 feature for the "other" speakers. Are you trying to play the same thing through the whole house?

4. Allen_Rosen

Allen_Rosen Auditioning

Thanks Johns!!!

I think that I will use the Zone 2 output as inout to another amplifier.

I liked JohnSmith's suggestion, but the amplifier he mentions is about $5k...about 20 times more than I want to spend [​IMG]

Thanks!