Noob here: Polk VS Athena

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by WilliamPC, May 24, 2004.

1. WilliamPC

WilliamPC Agent

Been lurkin here, great forum, thanks!

Just bought a Sammy 50" DLP, H/K AV230 and a Sammy SIR-TS160 DirecTV HD STB.

I need speakers.

I like the Athena Audition line from Best Buy but also like the Polk RTi line from CC. Because of a connection I have I can the comparable Polks for about the same price as the Athena's. I like the sound of both although its hard to tell "in store".

Any comments on either of these. My room is 14X20 and my budget is $1000. I was thinking about the 6.5 bookshelves matching center and dipoles from each line.

Thanks!

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

You should take home a stereo pair of speakers from each line and do some critical listening with familiar music. Invest in some cheap banana plugs to make switching easier..

Even if music isn't a priority, remember that most films feature large scale soundtracks...which are...music.

Then go from there...

You also need a sub if you want to really "experience" movies.

3. WilliamPC

WilliamPC Agent

Thanks Drew, good idea if they (BB and CC) will let me do that.

As for the sub I think I may build my own.....Adire Tempest or maybe something completely different like Arc Audio's (car audio) soon to be released FL series sub.

Quality wise are Polk and Athena comparable?

4. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

They (the stores) may not 'let' you take them home, but if you have a high enough line of credit available, both stores are pretty good with returns. So, buy both, audition, and return the ones that don't live up!

I own the Athena AS-B2 speakers from BB. I love them. My room is fairly small though. The AS-F2 speakers are down to 500 dollars now... a hell of a deal. They have gotten RAVE reviews, especially when driven by a good amp.
    I can't speak for the polks.
    Also, excellent idea on the Tempest. When my tax return comes back I'm directing a couple bucks for that project.

Let us know how it all turns out! Take it easy.

5. ShelbyB

ShelbyB Stunt Coordinator

I have experience with the Polks and if you can get a good deal on the RTi lines I highly suggest you follow through on it. I am confident you will enjoy them very much. I would suggest that you use a tower for fronts instead of bookshelves. Also, get the larger of the two RTi centers. Many Polk owners have said that the improvement over the smaller one that the larger center offers is easily worth the added cost.

What receiver and sub do you have?

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If you are serious about the Polk RTi line, don't wait too long to purchase it from CC - given your connection to the discount. CC may have already started to clear out the RTi series of speakers because they will be switching over to the new Monitor series from Polk.

Meanwhile, Tweeter has started carrying the LSi and RTi series of speakers from Polk.

I'll agree that the CSi5 is a better center channel speaker. However, due to size limitations (shelf depth limit) I had to purchase the CSi3 center channel speaker. While smaller than the CSi5, I still find the use of it for home theater use very adequate. I'm also running RTi8s as my main/front speakers. For me, I love the sound for both music and movies.

However, there are lots of speaker choices out there.

7. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

I auditioned both Athena and Polk (I have discounts for both) and I preferred the Polk. The Athena's struck me as being very bright and almost too high where as the Polk's had a fuller, more balanced sound.

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

That depends entirely on what they were hooked up to.

9. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

Im pretty sure they were hooked to a bright Yamaha receiver all of the Best Buys I've seen use the Yammy's to demo speakers.

I brought home a pair of F1 mains to replace my Polk RT 800's and never looked back. I use them mainly for movies and do not find them bright at all.

Im using a Kenwood VR-7080 receiver which is not very bright so the Athenas worked out perfect for me.

Rick

10. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Rik, do you flip on the THX Re-EQ on that Kenwood with your Athenas?