What's new

Noob HD question (1 Viewer)

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
I have recently got a new TV, a Samsung CRT 27 inch HDTV (2782H). I currently have Denon DVD-2900, but reading different posts it sounds like I could take advantage of the HD capabilities of the TV set even when watching regular DVDs by getting up-converting SD DVD player. So, I am considering selling my DVD-2900 and getting OPPO OPDV971H or, maybe, HD A1 instead. Would there really be a significant improvement in PQ if I switch from DVD-2900 to OPDV971H for a 27 inch set?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Answer ... marginal ... and if you set up the Oppo wrong (as many people do ... ) then worse.

Upconversion is not a magic bullet to quality. It is merely the latest must have input (HDMI or DVI) on DVD players and is starting to show up even on $50 dvd players.

(Mind you, I like the performance of the Oppo in general.)

Regards

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
I see. Another question, would it make a big difference to switch from S-Video to composite cable?

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Going from S-video backward to composite video is a bad idea. It adds all sorts of artefacts into the image like dot crawl.

(I know you meant to say component video)

S-video to component gives you slightly better colors in most cases, but many people just can't tell between the two. However, once you go component, you can do 480p which on the Denon will be better than the 480p as done by the TV.

Regards

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Wow, I always thought the 2900 was an upconverting player. I have the 2910, so I guess that was their first upconverter.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The Denon should do a better job of 480p than the TV. Better processing chips in the DVD player here.

But if you do not know what to look for ... then it may not make a difference.

A test disc like the DVD benchmark with all sorts of deinterlacing tests would be a quick way to determine which does it better.

Regards

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Another question just came up. The cable guy came by to install HD cable box and, as often happens with Comcast, he was not aware that HD cable box had DVI, instead of HDMI, connector. Hence, he connected it to the TV using component cable. He claimed that there is no real difference between component and DVI, but I can get DVI cable from Comcast office for free. That will need to be seen, but is he correct, is DVI=compenent in this case?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks