What's new

Noob: Building HT need experienced guidance. (1 Viewer)

Casey. J

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
With the newest technological breakthroughs in HDTVs and the like, I can't help but be ashamed of my "Home Entertainment," set up:
33in CRT Sanyo TV
Logitech's X-230 2.1 System
Sony PlayStation 2
Xbox 360
Memorex DVD player
and a ten dollar A/V selector from Target
As it is so you can see that my wanting for more is justified.
I don't intend on going out and buying everything I want today, or anytime soon, but I would like a heads up. And some advice on what to get...

For the Display I have some idea on what I want:

$1000-$2000

1920x1080 resolution
LCD
42in
16:9 aspect ratio
> 8 m/s refresh rate
< 1500:1 contrast ratio

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
What you're wanting sounds good enough, although the prices you listed, may not be very realistic. For all those inputs, to be on an A/V receiver, especially 2 HDMI inputs, it may cost you more than $500, unless you run across a very good deal somewhere.

At the rate technology is moving, whatever someone tells you today, may not be available anymore in a year. You should come ask these questions again, just before you're ready to buy..........

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
About the only 42" 1080p native LCDs that are under $2,000 would be Westinghouse or Sceptre (I don't remember the model numbers). They are both monitors, which mean that they lack tuners (not a big deal if you do digital cable or satellite, but it can be a problem if you don't).

Quality receivers that can switch HDMI usually start at around $700-800. To be honest, it really isn't a huge benefit until HDMI 1.3 shows up next year (all of the current ones are HDMI 1.1/1.2 spec).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks