Real Name
Jerry
87th Precinct.jpg

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
0.jpg

Terrific artwork by Mike Sekowsky inked by Frank Giacoia and Joe Giella.
1.jpg

2.jpg

I watched the show and bought this comic at the time. I vividly remembered the final page's Berlin Wall ending.
33.jpg

I remember the reference to "Highway Patrol" in the "King of Diamonds" theme song. "When Johnny King breaks a door down, he's not saying "Ten-Four", now.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Many times, Dells didn't have any advertising. Sometimes just the back cover or one or two of the inside covers in black and white.

Sometimes, the stories would continue in black and white on the back inside cover and finish in color on the back cover. Gold Keys would have wrap-a-round covers or repeat the front cover on the back without type, suitable for framing.

Stealthy TV Hero Tribute from Warren's Creepy #105.
1 Creepy 105 23  Dime Novel Hero Russ Heath.jpg

2 Creepy 105 24.jpg

3 Creepy 105 25.jpg

4 Creepy 105 26.jpg

5 Creepy 105 27.jpg

6 Creepy 105 28.jpg

7 Creepy 105 29.jpg

8 Creepy 105 30.jpg

Early Lone Ranger Dell comics had great painted covers.
762329.jpg

When the TV show came along, they switched to live-action Clayton Moore.
745217.jpg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Many times, Dells didn't have any advertising. Sometimes just the back cover or one or two of the inside covers in black and white.

Sometimes, the stories would continue in black and white on the back inside cover and finish in color on the back cover. Gold Keys would have wrap-a-round covers or repeat the front cover on the back without type, suitable for framing.

There are also Dells with variant editions. I know of at least seven issues of Zorro where one variant would have a 1-page story on the back cover, and the other would have an ad. I have both versions of one issue, and four other issues with one or the other.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I think the Zorro comics were even reprinted again, when the show was syndicated in the mid-60s. I still have one Zorro issue somewhere.

I remember one Dell TV comic, "Garrison's Gorillas", maybe. It lasted a certain number of issues, (3 or 4) with the last issue being a reprint of the first with a different cover and numbered #3 or #4. Or would that of been Gold Key by then?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I think the Zorro comics were even reprinted again, when the show was syndicated in the mid-60s. I still have one Zorro issue somewhere.

Yeah, they were reprinted by Gold Key. From 1949-1956, Dell had done seven issues of a pre-Disney Zorro comic. They've been reprinted in a book from Hermes Press: Zorro - The Complete Dell Pre-Code Comics Adventures. Then, from 1958-1961, they did another 15-issue run based on the Disney TV show. Gold Key published nine issues from 1966-1968 that reprinted random stories from the Dell Disney issues

I remember one Dell TV comic, "Garrison's Gorillas", maybe. It lasted a certain number of issues, (3 or 4) with the last issue being a reprint of the first with a different cover and numbered #3 or #4. Or would that of been Gold Key by then?

No, it was Dell all the way through. And five issues, and #5 had the same cover, but a higher price (it came out a year after the previous issue).

GG1.jpg
GG2.jpg
GG3.jpg
GG4.jpg
GG5.jpg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Great info, Jerry, and quick too. I'll look into that Hermes Zorro book. Thanks.
Hermes also released another collection of Zorro comics, all by the great artist Alex Toth. It's out of print currently, but the same material has been reprinted by a couple of other publishers as well, though long enough ago that they're probably OOP also. You might find some used copies at ABEbooks or eBay.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
This is a great comic book site,- my favorite.It has so many great comics and some I never would have thought they did comic books of.I have the complete dvd set of this fun series.Full issues are here.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
DC's Dobie Gillis ran for 26 issues between 1960 and 1964. Great 'good girl' art by Bob Oskner.

1 Bob Oskner.jpg

2 Bob Oskner.jpg

3 Bob Oskner.jpg

DC Dobie comics didn't do photo covers with the main stars like Dell. But 'Chatsworth' made one.
4 Bob Oskner.jpg

Mort Drucker did some gag cartoon extra pages for the Dobie books plus two of the covers.
5 Mort Drucker.jpg

6 Mort Drucker.jpg

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
DC's Dobie Gillis ran for 26 issues between 1960 and 1964. Great 'good girl' art by Bob Oskner.

Great stuff as always, Bob! I was diligent about collecting Silver Age DC comics as a kid, and I rarely found the Movie and TV licensed titles from DC like Dobie Gillis, Bob Hope, Jerry Lewis, Dale Evans, Honeymooners, etc. They must have had much smaller print runs than their original Superhero titles like Superman, Action, Batman, Detective, Adventure, Justice League and rich line of Science Fiction titles, which I encountered far more often in the used bookstores of my youth. I'd find the Dell and Gold-Key Movie and TV titles more often.

They really did capture some of the fun from Dobie Gillis, admittedly a somewhat uneven TV series, often silly but with many hilarious episodes. As you showed, they had great artists who really captured the likenesses of Tuesday Weld, Dwayne Hickman and Bob Denver. We all remember how popular Archie, Veronica, Betty and Jughead comics were with young girls especially...Dobie Gillis probably was seen by DC as a way to buy into that customer base.

Nice blast from the past!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Rats! I spelled Oksner wrong!

DC did have other teen humor comics. Some of the characters followed the Dobie and Maynard pattern. They even recycled the same cover gags.

0 1969.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

More on this and Bob Oksner.

Back in the day who could afford every title. You had to look past the stuff you couldn't buy.

The humor and romance titles had nice art too. That's another great thing about the internet sites like comicbookplus. You can see all the great art of the past, that you missed, by 'new to you artists' or favorite artists that worked on titles that were not on your radar.

The print runs influenced by TV comics is something to study. I have read that Superman comics sold many more copies, than Batman, in the fifties and early sixties because of the "Adventures of Superman" TV show pumping up the sales with the general public. But after reading, most of those general public sales went to trash and recycling, rather than to collectors.

Pre-'new look' Batman, on the other hand, in the fifties and sixties had more issues saved by collectors because of the far-out Sci-Fi content the stories had. So, fifties Superman is a scarcer title to find.

Last edited:

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I had this parody on a set of cd roms pf Mad magazine issues long ago on windows 7,John Wayne is my fav western actor I commented on True Grit a few months ago and the remake both of which are good,this is pretty funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation156
Recent bookmarks