What's new

Non-SVS recomendations? (1 Viewer)

Bri~A

Agent
I have setup a decent HT/music system very recently, and am now down to the final piece of my system, a sub. I have a Denon 3803 running a set of KEF Q-series speakers (Q7's front, Q1's rear, Q9c center). Looking to compliment these speakers nicely with a fairly powerful sub that is adept at handling both music and HT. Now I know that people on this forum might jump down my throat as they can be very brand-loyal, but I simply cannot get an SVS for various reasons (height/appearance for starters). My price range is about $800. Looking for some advice. I have looked into HSU VTF-3 subs and they have peeked my interest a bit. Any personal experiences on them? Other brands worth looking seriously at? please let me know about all your good/ bad sub experiences!

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Paradigm PW-2200 is a very solid sub, as is the VTF-3. You might be able to swing a Sunfire, which is small and stylish.

I understand about the SVS look. They may sound great for the price, but I just can't get over the idea of a hot-water heater in the corner. That and I don't have a good corner for it.

Chriss M

Second Unit
VMPS New Larger sub. It's huge, but is a standard box shape and is available in a number of different finishes.

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
Look into geting a Velodyne HGS-12. Small power and fairly acurate. I see them on audiogon for about 750-1200.

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Are you prepared to go DIY? If so, expect far more bang for the buck. You could either go kit form (Complete with box - just need to put it together) or you could just buy a driver and amp and build a box yourself. Finishing off a box is not that difficult, and the design work is easy - especially if you just steal someone elses design. Plus you get the satisfaction of saying you built it.
Otherwise, I would suggest you have a chat to Kyle at Acoustic Vision (Link Removed) and Brian at Link Removed They are both board members who do custom design work and do a superb job.
Just a couple of options :)

Bill Law

Stunt Coordinator
Try REL or Velodyne.
Good luck getting any advice here beyond DIY (adire), SVS or HSU.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
It's supposed to be very soon that SVS releases more info on the box subs. Unless you want to DIY, I might wait to see what SVS offers.

C

Chris*Liberti

If you are adept at building things you may consider going the DIY route. A single Stryke AV12 or AV15 in either a sealed, ported, or Passive Radiator box would put out some serious bass and you could design it however you want for looks as well as tuning to either go lower or to be tighter and more musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks