1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Non-sheilded speaker placement (TV) ...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill_Boston, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Bill_Boston

Bill_Boston Stunt Coordinator

Quick question ...

I am considering buying new speakers for my HT and have a question concerning placement in relation to my TV. It is recommended that the bookshelf (B&W) speakers that I am looking at for my L-R mains be placed at least 0.5 meters from the TV due to magnetic fields. My 36" direct view Sony XBR TV sits in a nice wooden Entertainment Center. Based on the room I have in my condo, I would prefer to move the speakers closer to the Entertainment Center (and TV) and was wondering if by having the TV housed in the cabinet, could I move the speakers closer ??? Does the wood provide and sort of magnetic sheilding ???

Thanks.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Wood has no effect on magnetic fields. Keep unshielded speakers as far from the Sony as possible to prevent permanent damage.

3. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

I dont think there should be any permanent damage to a CRT screen from placing the speakers too close, however, you will notice grat color shifts and distortion if you place your speakers too close.

4. Bill_Boston

Bill_Boston Stunt Coordinator

One last question ... could there possibly be damage done if the TV is OFF (or in standby mode) and the speakers are too close OR is it only a problem with TV power is actually on ???

Thanks.

5. Jack Briggs

Not true. Personally, I ruined two Sony TVs this way. All the degaussing in the world couldn't fix the permanently distorted screens.

6. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Do newer TV's have a 'degauss' function like computer monitors have? Could this possibly be a solution for interfering magnetic fields?

7. Jack Briggs

Just about all the direct-view sets I know of automatically degausse at power-on. But the damage caused by unshielded speakers with large magnets is beyond repair.

8. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Agreed... happened to me too... speaker used as center was represented as being shielded, but wasn't... wasn't noticeable early on, but it slowly did in a nice Proton 27"... only after it was too late did I move the speaker around to realize it was not shielded.

(BTW, it was Cambridge SoundWorks, whose products I would recommend... but that kid who was so eager to make a phone sale, well, I just hope he's flippin' burgers somewhere - forever.)

Don't count on your cabinetry to do anything other than look nice... protect your equipment, get 'em shielded... not real familiar with B&W, but I'd be surprised if they didn't offer shielded bookshelf speakers.