Non-Region 1 software... is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Robinson, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    Hi gang. I'm currently debating whether or not it's worth it to pick up a region-free player and I would think it all comes down to this question: Is there an abundance of good DVD product out there that is non-region 1? I'm asking because I don't know. Is there a lot of product that is BETTER (anamorphic vs. not) or is it just that titles sometimes get released earlier in other regions? I just always assumed Region 1 got the best of DVD since most of the material comes out of Region 1. But maybe I'm sorely mistaken! Can anyone give me a quick bullet list of why a multi-region player would be useful? Also, maybe a top 5 or top 10 list of software titles that make a case for multi-region players? THANKS!!

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The only other region software I have is music software, and so far I've only picked up two titles. However, I am happy to have them. My multi-region player doubles as a bedroom player and was really cheap so it's easy to justify.

3. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Greg,
    If you look at the Regional DVD area on theis forum you'll find plenty of info. For even more complete covarage check out the International Forum on DVDtalk.com They have a extensive list of non-R1 exclusives as well as non-R1 anamorphic exclussives.

4. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

If you want to make comparisons between region 1, 2 and 4 discs, then you could go to Rewind DVD Comparisons.

5. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

r=region

planet of the apes entire series (anamorphic now, r4&2)

betty blue (anamorphic, dir cut, r4)

perdita durango:SE (anamorphic, dir cut, r2(German))

african queen (oar, jack cardiff commentary, r2)

shallow grave (anamorphic, r2)

from dusk till dawn:se (anamorphic, r2)

just about any uk r2 title from honk kong legends, they are to hong kong films what anchor bay is to horror (e.g. jc miracles reference picture unlike horrific columbia r1)

armageddon criterion (anamorphic, r2, identical to r1 except gag reel)

true lies (anamorphic, uncut, r4)

karate kid (anamorphic, r2)

alien legacy including bonus 5th disk (anamorphic, r2)

escape from la (anamorphic, r2)

convoy (anamorphic, r2)

etc,etc,etc

6. Greg Robinson

Greg R
    thanks for the info everyone. I regret to say I never noticed the Regional DVD Area on this forum. Oops. Sorry if this was in the wrong area. Off to do some searching...

p.s. - The DVD that sparked my interest in other regions... Brotherhood of the Wolf. Gotta have that DVD with DTS sound YESTERDAY!

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Word of warning - do you speak French? Thats one lovely set thats currently available, but there are no English subtitles on it.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'm going to let this thread remain here, reason being that here is where it will catch the greatest amount of attention; the "Regional" forum is a bit more esoteric and appeals to seasoned veterans.

For me, I'd love to have the unrated version of Eyes Wide Shut that's available to everybody but residents of the U.S. and Canada.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Also, be cognizant to the need of choosing a region free DVD player that also offers PAL-to-NTSC conversion so it'll look "normal" when you play the non-Region1/Non-NTSC DVDs for your NTSC TV at home.

10. Duncan_N

Duncan_N Stunt Coordinator

Believe me, I'd never thought that you hear me defending R2 as generally speaking for us Brits its THE biggest complaint we have when it come to DVD (how come we have to wait an extra 6 months for release, how come we lose all the extra features that R1 gets, etc, etc) - but - I think you would be making a mistake not going for multi-region. Very generally speaking R1 is superior, but as has been said, there are regions out there that have better releases of certain titles. And, you can bet your life that as soon as you buy a R1 only player, your particular holy grail of DVD releases will get a better release oversees.

11. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

I'll second Jack Briggs on Eyes Wide Shut: the - censored -R1 release is a disgrace.
    Another suggestion if you're a Kubrick-fan (like me) is the international version of The Shining. Kubrick cut this movie by more than twenty minutes for its international release: the result is quiet a different movie!
    Someone else suggested Armageddon. If you decide to buy this, than go for the Australian/British version. The European mainland version contains the theatrical version with no commentaries, the Aussie/British version contains the director's cut and two commentaries.
    Prices can also be cheaper in other regions. For instance, if you buy all three DVD's I mentioned here at EzyDvd (Australian e-tailer) you'll pay no more than USD 35.00, including shipping costs.....you'll pay just about the same for the non-anamorphic Criterion Armageddon!

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

13. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

The main reason I bought a region free, PAL>NTSC player is because most TV series take FOREVER to come out here in the US (if ever). So now I'm enjoying my Angel Season 1 (R4) and Buffy Seasons 2&3 (R4) without having to wait.

14. Greg Robinson

Greg R

15. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

You can get the Daewoo 5700 at Sam's Club, if you have one nearby.

16. Alex Johnson

Alex Johnson Stunt Coordinator

yes, the 3-disc set of le pacte des loups (brotherhood of the wolf) came out in december and is excellent. picked it up at fnac for like us$31.

cheers,

a

17. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

18. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

You will find that tons of movies are available in better versions either as anamorphic, special editions, widescreen, or only available in R2. Some of the best examples are Scream director's cut, any french film that takes 1 year to make it to the US, every George Romero film, and Buffy the vampire slayer.

19. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

anyone know the going price of a Malata 996?? US or Canadian... and what is the difference with a Malata 900R???

20. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer