Non-progressive vs progessive scan difference??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Silence, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Kevin Silence

OK, I now have a 56" HDTV, but I am still using a non-progressive scan dvd player. It looks great to me, but... if I upgrade to a progressive-scan player, will it make a big difference or not. I am looking at purchasing the Panny CP-72. I've read all the reviews. I'm just looking for some honest opinions. Will a see a big difference in picture quality or not. I am now using S-Video, but I would switch to component.

I would appreciate any comments or thoughts. Thanks.

Kevin

2. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

"big difference", doubtful, most likely it would be a subtle improvemnt. it really depends on whether the de-interlacer in the dvd player does a better job than the one in the tv. post your tv model and perhaps someone with the same model will chime in.
    you could also see a modest improvement if you switch to component on your existing setup. as you probably already know, you will have to switch to component to get progressive scan as s-vid will does not have the bandwidth to pass it.

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Depends on your TV really. I've had many friends come watch DVDs on my mits/rp56 and immediately buy a progressive scan player the very next day. Try it and see, maybe you can boworrow one.

4. DennisFawcett

[​IMG] ON MY TOSH 65H82 WITH A TOSH 3800 DVD PLAYER I DIDNOT SEE
    A BIG DIFF,BUT WHEN MY 3800 DIED AND I GOT A SONY 715 WOW IT
    BLEW ME AWAY.I AM SOLD ON PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD PLAYERS,BUT
    HAVING SAID THAT TV AND DVD COMBINATIONS FROM WHAT I HAVE
    SEEN DO CHANGE THE PICURE QUALITY.AS FOR THE PANA DVD PLAYER
    I JUST DONOT LIKE THEIR PRODUCTS,BUT THEY GET GREAT WRITEUPS.

5. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

Dennis, lose the caps-lock.[​IMG]

6. Sergio Z.

Sergio Z. Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to upgrade from a basic player (Toshiba SD-2300)to a progressive. I have an Samsung HCM4215W RPTV.
    I currently watch all dvds through the component video (jacks direct from the player to the TV). Looks great but can it be greater with a prog scan player? Significant? or not that significant? I would appreciate any feedback or pointers to other relevant threads. Thanks a lot everybody.

7. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

I just hooked up my new cp72 tonight. I am very pleased with the initial trial run. We just finished a very colorful movie (Spiderman), and it looked incredible.