Non Powered Subwoofer Connection Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John Sullmeyer, Mar 20, 2004.

1. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

I recently upgraded my reciever this weekend, and when going to hook up my Subwoofer, I noticed that it had an RCA input for the subwoofer. My previous non powered Subwoofer was connected using a red and black wire similar to the rest of my speakers.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can get a convertor of some type so I can continue to use my old Subwoofer until I can save up for a new one?

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

to what speaker outs was your "old" subwoofer connected on your old receiver, exactly?

3. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

It was connected to the Subwoofer out. Basically all speakers on my old reciever each had a standard + and - wire output.

My new receiver has an RCA. I'm going to look to Radioshack to see if an adapter was available, but was hoping someone here may be able to give me some advice.

4. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

You need a external amp or a subwoofer plate amp to power the subwoofer.Take RCA out from your new reciever into the amp, then speaker wires from the amp to your passive subwoofer. I would not recommend using your reciever amps to power the subwoofer PLUS the L/R channels. It'll probably clip.

What you're asking (RCA to speaker cable converter) will not work, because line level (RCA) is not amplified. You need amp somewhere.