What's new

Non Plate amp for Sub (1 Viewer)

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
I decided to go with a non plate amp for the sub that a friend built for me, so I'm researching them as I type this. What are some good brands to look at. I've seen the Samson ones listed on SVS's website, but what are some others? I'm looking for anything between 250 and 700watts, and not too expensive. It will be driving a 12" Stryke AV12 in a sealed box.

Thanks a lot,

Zak

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
QSC and Crown are two good brands.

i just searched ebay until i found a good deal on them. look under musical instruments then power amplifiers to see the pro amps.

i ended up getting a crown CE1000, which does 450wpc at 4ohms and 1100w in bridged mono at 4 ohms, for 260 dollars shipped. if you dont want to spend this much, you should be able to find one with a lower power for less.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running Adcom 555ii stereo amps (about $400 used) on my front bass drivers + sub woofer. No fan, low noise, and otherwise reasonable.

200W into 8 Ohms, 325 into 4, 600 bridged into 8 Ohms, 800 bridged into 4.

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
250 watts for an AV12 in a sealed box is not much! John suggests 350 watts will get most of its performance, but that depends on the alignment. Velodyne sealed subs use 1.2kw as I recall!!!!

I'd consider 350 watts a minimum, sealed subs need more power than vented. Considering budget 500 watts might be a good place to start, 700 wont give you much gain. If money is no object 1kw would work well from what I have heard.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Also, in the past there have been some members who have utilized plate amps, but they didn't mount them on the sub cabinet. Instead, they created a separate "box" to house the plate amp. This also might be an option for you to consider.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Literally any Pro-amp will be more than adequate though I would recommend going to your local music stores and see if the fans run loud and depending on how it's connected if it can handle he impedence load (I assume your driver is dual 2 ohms, therefore an amp ran bridged and the woofer wired in series would need a minimum of 4 ohm bridged compatible for example).

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the info! Unfortunatly I had to go with the good ole' PE plate amp. I friend of mine built a nice wooden box for it, so I have it mounted remotely in my audio rack. Eventually i'd like to get a nice QSC or Crown Pro amp, but until then I'll use the PE one.

Thanks guys!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks