What's new

Non-negotiable Specs & Features for a Blu-Ray Release (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

1080i is exactly the same as 1080p on a flat panel display, as a flat panel deinterlaces the signal. They are not capable of displaying an interlaced signal. Now how good said flat panel display's deinterlacer is another story. The point being a 1080i signal can be be converted to progressive with no degradation in picture quality. Also not all material on blu-ray was progressive to start with.

Most films never get a 7.1 audio mix because 90% of movie theaters are still 5.1. The likelihood of every release having a 7.1 mix is next to zero.

Doug

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The only thing that matters to me is the Movie, I am not into watching the extras for the most part.

What is important to me:
1. 1080p HD Picture
2. Lossless Audio (PCM, DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD)
3. original mix (for mono sources) depending on title

What I do not care about:
1. Notice telling me that the studio may not agree with statements made by other people.

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff

Actually, I did. I still have over a hundred but I only paid a high price for two of them and the rest I bought used for cheap or from the manufacturer (I used to work for Pioneer).

The most I have ever paid for a Blu-ray disc is $12.50 when Toys-r-us had their Disney 2 for $25 deal, the rest from Fry's when they had many on sale for $9.99.

I just don't need to own a new release that bad to be spending $24 - $30 when I know they will be on sale at some later point. So to me, price is important.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff

Actually, I did, but I only paid a high price for two of them. The rest I bought used for cheap or from the manufacturer for $3 (I used to work for Pioneer).

The most I have ever paid for a Blu-ray disc is $12.50 when Toys-r-us had their Disney 2 for $25 sale and the rest from Fry's when they had many on sale for $9.99.

I just don't need to own a new release that bad to pay $24 - $30 when I know they will be on sale later.

So to me, price is important.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Agreed.

Anything and everything else is "extra" and should be considered as such and never put before video and audio specs. Sadly, some studios don't see it that way and feel the "extras" are more important.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation615
Recent bookmarks