non home theater buff review of All in the family wanted

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan L B, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

I want to know if the average person thinks this dvd looks as bad as all of the pros are giving it.

2. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

Particularly, how does a/v compare to synicated boradcasts (Nick/TVLand) and the Columbia House dvds. If Season One DVDs are better- or at worst absolutely no worse- at least we know we are getting the "best available".

3. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Can someone tell me, how this couldn't already be covered in the multitude of All in the Family threads?!? As I recall they weren't all that technical...

4. Ryan L B

i was hoping for one from somebody who just got it today and if they notice all of the flaws like how the professional reviews mention

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Hmmm. I wouldn't call me a "pro", as my AitF review was my first "real" one (the only other one I did prior was a "practice quickie" for The Super Mario Brothers Super Show disc that TriMark put out. Also, the only "payment" I got was that I got to keep the set.

Also, I also wouldn't call me *exactly* a home theater buff, as my tv is just a 30". I do own over 1000 DVDs, though, so maybe I qualify on that level.

The review I gave was pretty much from-the-heart, as a true fan of the show. When I said it made a rotten first impression, I meant it. But as I said, the more I watched it and got used to the quality, the more I was able to enjoy the wonderful show that it was.

No, I can't compare it to the NickAtNite or Columbia House versions, since I don't have those. Sorry!

6. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

7. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

RE: ALL IN THE FAMILY.....the first episode is softer in quality than what follows. Overall, it looks just like it does on TV. Definately worthwhile for fans of the show, it isn't going to get any better. Go for it.

8. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

I've only watched three episodes on the first disc, but after all the pre-release reviews, I was pleasantly surprised how good it looked. That may have a lot to do w/ expectations though.

There are some spots of color bleeding that I have noticed. In addition, the colors seem to fade vertically as you move out from the center of the picture, but it is very slight. What I mean by that is the colors seem dead on in the center of the pic and a little off as you move out.

In episode two, I noticed a weird arc in the top right corner that was a red tint and a similar arc in the bottom right corner that was a green tint. I thought is might be a convergence issue w/ my TV at first, but it was only in certain scenes.

I have done an A/B comparison (not episode to episode) to the Nick At Nite broadcast and the DVD is a more stable, sharper picture with better color balance. I do have cable, so someone w/ satellite may want to do an A/B comparison as well.

Glad to have this show on DVD.

Peace,

DM

9. Ryan L B

i will atemt to post my review on sun. i am the person who cant get ee very well. i will also try to compare with the nick at night verson,

10. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

I watched the first two episodes last night and while my expectations were not very high, I was pleased with what I saw. We are talking about shows that are over 30 years old and originally recorded on videotape. While nowhere near reference quality, I didn't find the shortcomings to be distracting(of course, this might be because I was laughing so hard at what was going on within the shows[​IMG]). Needless to say, I'm glad to have this on DVD and look foward to more upcoming seasonal sets.

11. Ryan L B

well here is mine

Picture:

for a show on taped on video, this looks pretty damn good. now if this was filmed, then i would be complaining. i mean sometimes a few faulters in the video can occur but the video quality is quite good. also, these look better than the tv land and nick at night versions. even though they are showing newer episodes, they actually look five to ten times worse not encluding cuts (from television city in hollywood, an announcer talks over rob reiner saying "all in the family was taped in front of a studio audience", too many commercials.) i have a 60 inch big screen tv

Sound:

2.0 mono is decent. whenever archie yells there is slight distortion and the audience laughter is sometimes too loud to hear the dialog (particuraly after edith says something stupid, or in the "never judge a book by its cover" episode. also, the opening is way too loud and you have to turn the volume up to around 33 to hear anything anyway.

12. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Chapters would be a nice inclusion in the Season 2 box.

Then we could skip by the opening credits with just one click.

13. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

I can accept sound and picture deficiencies, but I really do wish some kind of extra content had been included (commercials, newscasts, behind-the-scenes, retrospective interviews, Carroll O'Conner tribute, or even simply production notes--anything would've been appreciated).

Perhaps something along the line of Fawlty Towers or The Simpsons is too much to ask, but All in the Family deserves more than bare-bones.

At least the show remains a classic.

Evan

14. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor