Non-electrostat surrounds w/ Martin Logans?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich X, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

I just auditioned a pair of Martin Logan Ascents and loved them, but I'm concerned that I will not be able to fit matching surrounds (Scripts) into my theater. They are pretty tall (~4ft) and stick out from the wall about 9 inches when wall mounted. For a number of reasons this really would not work well in the place that they need to be mounted.

Are there any non-electrostat surrounds that work well with Martin Logans or is this stictly a no-no?

2. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

I have ML across the fronts. I chosed Def Tech BPX2 for the rears and McIntosh HT3 dipoles for the sides. Both speakers are very detailed oriented speakers with good transient response and match well with the ML.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I don't think that's a problem. Just make sure they're quality speakers and you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about timbre matching front to rear because sounds that come from the rear sound so different anyways.

Now, if you wanted to use a conventional center channel w/ Martin Logan fronts, that could be more problematic, but not impossible.

4. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback. I would definitely use the Martin Logan Cinema as the center channel if I got the Ascents for the mains. I'm sure that the Theater would be better but it is too large for the place that I have to put it.

Other than the McIntosh that Ross recommended, are there any other brans of surrounds that people have heard that work well with Martin Logans?

5. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

Not a problem. I have ML reQuests in the front with a Cinema centre channel. In the back I have an old pair of B&W's. Plan some day to upgrade the rears, perhaps to DefTechs.

Its not like the pan from front to rear has to be seamless, its a long way around. Perhaps some day when we're at 9.1 or 11.1 it will be more important. But with 5.1 I think its irrelevant what you use in the rear with ML's.

6. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Just find a good dipole or bipole surround speaker and you should be fine. I would spend as much as you're comfortable spending, but there are probably other areas of your system that could use it a lot more than getting really nice surrounds.