Non-damaging speaker adhesive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Choate, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Dave Choate

Dave Choate Auditioning

I'm looking to attach my surround speakers to my antique cherry end-tables in my living room. They need to be attached (vs just placed) because of my 6 month old who loves to pull on the wires and hasn't learned the word NO yet. I've seen other posters refer to Blue-Tac and ribbon caulk. Will either of those damage the finish on my end tables? Does anyone have any other ideas?

2. Pat K

Pat K Stunt Coordinator

How bout a hunk of metal underneath the top of the table.. will that mess up the sound? I dunno

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    3M VHB (Very High Bond) tape should do the trick and leave no residue either on the speaker or tables. May not be simple to find, as it is more of a comercial product than public, but one roll is only around $30 and will last forever. Can be used for lots of other stuff too.

4. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

You could try some rubber cement. I use it on my speakers and I find it works well. You should be able to find some at your local hardware store.

5. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

I think Tac N Stik (same as Blu-Tack) has the best chance of doing what you want without wrecking the finish on your tables. I've used this type of stuff for years and it works great. Firm solid support and it leaves no evidence. Use just a small dab at each corner of the speaker and when it's time to remove it, I use a strong plastic spatula to gently pry the speaker starting at one corner. You can ball up the Tac N Stik that remains using your fingers.