What's new

Non-Anamorphic DVD's wanted Anamorphically Enhanced (1 Viewer)

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
Lifeforce (extended version)
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
Gorgo
She (1965)
Swamp Thing (uncut)
Texas Chain Saw Massacre (with corrected sound!!!)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
My suggestion. Just get an Oppo multi-region player, unlockable region free goodness with the remote due to code punching thing, and research DVDCOmpare.net, occasionally DVDBeaver and other comparison sites. Going region free has never been better. Well, as long as the budget allows it.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Very surprising, in this day and age, that these films still haven't gotten anamorphic upgrades in R1 --especially with several studios' tendency toward double/triple/quadruple-dipping with higher-profile 1980s and 1990s flicks on DVD:

BREAKDOWN
THE EDGE
TRUE LIES
THE ABYSS
THE ROCKETEER
ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ
RAISING ARIZONA
LIFEFORCE

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Regarding TRUE LIES, from DVDCompare.net.
  • R2 DTS Japan - (Nippon Herald Films)
  • Extras:
    "Making of" -featurette (25 min, presented by Jamie Lee Curtis)
    Theatrical trailer
  • Subtitles:
    Japanese
  • Aspect Ratio:
    2.35:1
  • Picture Format:
    Anamorphic
  • TV System:
    NTSC
  • Soundtrack(s):
    English DTS 5.1
    English Dolby Digital 5.1
    Japanese Dolby Digital 2.0 surround
  • Case type:
    Amaray (Keep) Case
  • Notes:
    DTS is half bitrate (768 Kbps).
AND also Escape from Alcatraz from the same site:
  • R2 United Kingdom - (Paramount)
  • Subtitles:
    Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, English HoH, Finnish, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Polish, Romanian, Swedish, Turkish
  • Aspect Ratio:
    1.78:1
  • Picture Format:
    Anamorphic
  • TV System:
    PAL
  • Soundtrack(s):
    English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
    German Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
  • Case type:
    Amaray (Keep) Case
I suggest importing it and get a multi-region capable player. Why should anyone limit theirselves to Region 1 if you're a R1 native? I purposefully purchased several other region DVD's so I could have a more thorough release. Hell, I even imported the 25th Anniversary Edition of FLASH GORDON and the Special Edition of STARMAN from Region 2, PAL UK awhile ago. Both are two of my best import purchases I thoroughly researched and bought online. I suggest going for an Oppo player. And when I get around to it, I'm going to be importing the Korean release of, The African Queen. YES! It's actually on DVD in other Regions! Although a local release would more than likely have a superior transfer and extras. Even 1492, The Last of the Mohicans: Theatrical Cut and others are available.
The Oppo has a superb PAL-to-NTSC conversion in the player. Soon as you get a multi-region player, there are literally far more options for buying films. Well, as long as it's affordable and the shipping is good.
Regarding FLASH GORDON: 25th Anniversary Edition, it makes me unbelievable annoyed when people moan they didn't get all the extras from it when the Saviour of the Universe edition was released. Know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna buy that Saviour of the Universe edition just so I can have the most complete set of extras currently out there.
Why are people so reluctant to buy two different releases of a film? I own both the 20th Anniversary and 2-Disc Collector's Edition for ALIEN so I wouldn't be missing out on anything. Hell, I honestly enjoy extras and I truly believe that go for it, buy different releases of films if they have different content to have the most complete version. Did the same thing for GLADIATOR. Owns the Signature Selection 2-Disc and the Extended Edition 3-Disc which EQUALS an Ultimate Edition 5-Disc set.
Again from DVDCompare.net illustrating my point above (And people think double dipping is releasing the same film twice. True double releases, NOT DOUBLE DIPPING, are the Theatrical and Extended Editions for LotR, GLADIATOR Signature Selection and Extended Edition, ALIEN 20th Anniversary and the Collector's Edition):

**R1 3-disc "Extended Edition" includes a longer version of the film (as well as the "Theatrical version"), 200 minute new documentary, and other extra-features not found from the older releases. R2 UK 3-disc "Extended Edition" seems to be almost the same, but it DOESN`T include the "Theatrical version" of the film.

**Then again the older 2-disc editions (which are more or less the same - although those of you that can take advantage of the 6.1 Encoding will want the R1 for the Discrete - rather than Matrix - Encoding) includes features like original audio commentary, several featurettes, and of course, a DTS-track.

A true fan probably should have 2 different releases (if you already have the older release, then both of these new "Extended Editions" will do, but if you just want the new 3-disc set, choose R1, since it has also original "Theatrical version" - which is the true Director´s Cut of the film).

And pay attention closely to the UNDERLINED. Both the Signature Selection and Extended Edition releases are different enough not to be truly considered double dipping albiet two seperate releases. So if the releases are only a few years apart or pre-announced there'll be two different versions it's considered double dipping? Give me a break...:rolleyes

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yes, we shouldn't have to jump thru hoops and get a multi-region setup going just to enjoy anamorhpic versions of these titles.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Disney's Hercules
Cool Runnings
Mighty Ducks
Honey, I Shrunk The Kids
Honey, I Blew Up The Kid

So many more just from Disney & they seem to have quit releasing catalog titles anymore. If it isn't a new release, Hannah Montana or Baby Einstein they've forgotten it exists.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

At least they've promised a new Election edition of 'Nixon' later this year. Even thought it's Disney, I have to assume that this one would finally be anamorphic. I suspect it will also be released on Blu-ray at that time.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
And I figure you'll also settle for cut, reedited and rescored versions of many asian films too?
Case in point. Region 1 has to settle for reedited and redubbed versions of Jackie Chan films. I've imported from Hong Kong the full versions of the Project A Duology, The Police Story Trilogy, the Armour of God Duology and other films. Just cause it's Region 0, 3 or 2, even multi-coded, doesn't mean it's a bootleg. All of my purchases are legitimate. ZERO TAI SENG PRODUCTS WHATSOEVER EITHER.
Only problem with importing for me has been finding what I want to buy when I buy it and occasionally the shipping costs. There's even a Special Edition of Conan the Destroyer from Korea which is anamorphic. But do I actually enjoy the film enough to want to purchase it? There's even a 2-Disc DTS (original audio track was mono anyway) of Conan the Barbarian.
Oh, and another problem is using a site online I've never used before. I used SendIt.com to import the two Region 2 UK PAL DVD's and damn both are quality releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks