Non-Anamorphic and 16:9 screens

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jim Williams, May 26, 2003.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I think I have finally got this figured out and please correct me if I am wrong. Also, before I get flamed, I have read the HTF FAQ and the Ultimate Guide to Anamorphic Widescreen (For Dummies).

When viewing a non-anamorphic DVD on a 16:9 screen the image is short and fat because it is actually made to be viewed on a 4:3 screen, and to correct this I should use my "expand" format (at least that is the format on my Mits 42311). Have I finally got this right?

That being said, Blockbuster Video is woefully behind the times. I rented two DVDs this weekend that I know are currently available in anamorphic widescreen but the versions that they had were older non-anamorphic. I rarely have this problem with Netflix rentals.

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

You are correct. You will have to use one of your TV's stretch or zoom modes to achieve the correct dimensions. As for block buster, I would think that the vast majority of their customers are using 4x3 sets, at which point it doesn't matter if the transer is non-anamaphoric. Why go to the costs of replacing these older dvd's when the market of 16x9 owners is still relatively small.

3. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Your other option is buy a dvd player that has the ability to scale an image to fit a 16:9 screen. I think you'll find the dvd player route produces much better results.

4. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Donnie,

other than the RP-91 are there any other players that do a good job of scaling to 16:9?

Earle

5. Parisis

Parisis Agent

I have fought with Block buster about their policy. Do a Google search on Blockbuster and widescreen.there are many discussions of their stupid policy. Their policy is that if a release is available in 4/3 and widescreen, they will only stock the 4/3 version. They basically gave in to the " This movie is defective , it has black bars " crowd.

6. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    That's b/c the majority of people that go to blockbuster are the J6P that think movies like Drummline and Fire Down Below are the best ever made. I rarely rent from blockbuster except for video games. I tend to buy every movie I want to watch anyway. Every time I go to BB I try to speak as loudly as I can about how they suck b/c they don't carry widescreen and that I'll never rent a movie if it is in fullscreen only. This is fun to do when you are close to an employee. Sorry for the post, I know that it is off topic. Sorry.