non 555 phone numbers in movies

Discussion in 'Movies' started by EricW, Jan 17, 2004.

1. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i was just watching Jackie Brown and it featured 2 phone numbers that weren't 555 and it got me thinking, what procedures do moviemakers have to go through to use a non 555 number? are studios just being "nice" when they use a 555 number so people don't get hassled?

2. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

Was one of them "Bruce Almighty"? I guess a lot of people called the number given as God's and were asking for God. It one town, the number belonged to a church. In another, it was a minister's home number.

3. Fred Bang

Fred Bang Stunt Coordinator

I also rememeber a non-555 number in the movie SNEAKERS (with Robert Redford). I believe that when you called that number you could hear some kind of promotion from the studio that made the movie.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Yes, and the awkward edit to make the fix was to the horrible detriment of the DVD presentation of the film.

5. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

was it an 800 number? otherwise, if it's a non 500 number, wouldn't they have to register that same number in every area code?

6. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

What happened on the DVD?

7. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Back in the day, if you called 867-5309 (in Chicago, at least) you got a recording that said something like "Hey, this is Tommy Tutone! Thanks for listening to my song on [some radio station]!"

8. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

Besides Jackie Brown, the movie that comes to mind
    that doesn't have the 555 phone # is Arthur. When
    he is standing outside the department store talking
    to Liza Minelli's character, she gives him her number.
    Also in Parenthood, Diane Wiest's character gives her
    son (Joaquin Phoenix) the number to his father's
    dentist office.

9. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Sneakers is the only movie I know of that doesn't have a 555 number. It was an agent's phone number.

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Fictional numbers are supposed to be 555-01xx now. The others can be in actual use, in addition to the common 555-1212 for directory assistance.

//Ken

11. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

The # used in Magnolia for Frank Mackeys Seduce & Destroy seminars was a real #.

I found this.....

"Magnolia," also recently in and out of theatres, has an associated phone number much like Mike Schank's. It's just an outgoing message. In the film, Frank T.J. Mackey (Tom Cruise) does infomercials for his "Seduce and Destroy" sex seminar series. The phone number flashes on the screen-within-a-screen several times during the course of the film. It is not, as the grand majority of phone numbers shown in the movies are these days, the non-existent 555 exchange. That would not be sufficient for the Mackey lady mack.

The number? 1-877-TAME-HER.

On a lark, I called the number. I didn't expect it to pick up. But it did; it picked up and suddenly Frank T.J. Mackey, or Tom Cruise, or whatever you want to call him, was talking in my ear. To me. Telling me he guaranteed, money-back guaranteed, to get me "that naughty sauce," the "yum-yum" I deserved. After several minutes of "Seduce" spiel, the line dumped to a voicemail box that claimed to be full. I didn't care. I was laughing too hard.

I called back about once a week over the next few months, and each time the message was different. Sometimes it was just a snippet of the "Seduce and Destroy" banter, sometimes the seminar attendees roaring, "Respect the cock and tame the cunt!"

Sadly, the phone number is now dead. I'd like to think it was running out of writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson's house, with the impresario changing the message ever few days to entertain his most devoted fans."

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

They had Jim Carrey do a redub in the studio, and CGed the beeper. The beeper wasn't so bad, but it sounded like the only had him redub the number once instead of for each emotional moment, so it came across as little better than an awkward TV edit in those moments.

14. James T

James T Screenwriter

Regarding Bruce Almighty, in Buffalo, it was just a lady. She was on the news and threatened to sue b/c she was getting hundred's of calls every day. Since the movie takes place in Buffalo, I guess she got the bulk of the calls.

15. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i think punch drunk love uses a non 555 number for barry's apartment.

CJ