Non 16x9 DVDs on a 16x9 TV...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Daniel P, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

...just wondering where the subtitles are placed, in particular on Criterion's Amarcord and Andrei Rublev - or any film with a 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 aspect ratio, which are not 16x9 enhanced.

I only know my TV, and a non 16x9 disc can be zoomed in to fit the screen, but sometimes the subtitles are cut off at the bottom - whereas a 16x9 disc places the subtitles within the frame - as opposed to below it.

Does that make sense?

If so, thanks in advance...

2. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

On the few DVDs I have that are not 16x9 enhanced, the text is always below the picture, making it impossible to do a full zoom without chopping off most of the text. Just another reason for not buying non-anamorphic DVDs I guess...

3. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

On a few discs this can be a problem; on my old Toshiba, there's a mode that moves the entire picture up so that the subtitles are there. Basically a 2.35 film is shown with no black bar on top. It remains a problem on 1.66 subtitled discs, like "Stalingrad." That, I watch in 1.33 mode.

4. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

^ I too do that for 2.35 movies...but there's just no way around it for anything in 1.85 [​IMG]

5. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I own neither film, however on 2.35:1 non-anamorphic DVDs (Yojimbo, Tokyo Drifter, etc.), Criterion puts the subs in the lower black bar.

What works for me is that my Malata DVD player allows me to zoom in just the right amount, and the I can shift the picture upwards, cutting off the top black bar and leaving the bottom one with the subs on screen.

If you have a lot of non-anamorphic DVDs, I strongly recommend getting a DVD player that has incremental zoom and X/Y positioning capabilities.

Ted

6. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

If the subtitles are player-generated, some players allow you to move them around on the screen. So you can zoom the image to fill your screen in the best way possible, and then move the subtitles up into the screen area. Obviously, you're out of luck if the titles are burned in.

7. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys...I'll keep my fingers crossed for 16x9 re-releases I guess...

8. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Criterion's Brazil (1.85:1) has its subtitles placed within the frame, as does Picnic At Hanging Rock (1.66:1). It seems Criterion wasn't very consistent regarding this, so maybe Amarcord and/or Rublev are okay after all....

I have a player that always keeps the subtitles on screen when using the player's zoom function. However, the annoying thing is that it also keeps an ugly, large icon on screen when using the zoom function. Which means I have to use the TV's zoom after all.....

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mark,

If that player is a JVC, you can usually make the zoom icon disappear by entering a non-existent chapter number or doing anything else that brings up the "operation prohibited" symbol (a 0 with a line thru it).

On current JVC's the Zoom icon goes away by itself after a few seconds. They also have a 1.8 zoom as the lowest level which chops off less than the 2.0 zoom. Subtitles appear complete in the lower part of your set's screen, regardless of where they appear when not zoomed.

I recently bought a JVC XVNA77SL (also in black as the XVNA70B) and it does a wonderful job with non-anamorphic widescreen dvds, as well as automatically pillarboxing 4/3 material. No more messing with the set's aspect ratio settings during special features.

10. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Steve: I don't have a JVC player (a Cyberhome, which isn't my primary player), but tried it anyway. It didn't work, but thanks. [​IMG]