What's new

Nomination for Official HTF Movie; Free Enterprise! (1 Viewer)

Butch C

Second Unit
Has anyone seen this movie...More movie, 70's TV show, DVD, comic book, LD, Home Theatre, action figure, and home electronics references than you can possible pack into a 2 hour film.

A bonus for HTFers...a male/female argument about electronics vs. shoes...

A must see for HTFers...

Its on HBOPE (whatever that is)right now.

Starring Eric McCormic from Will and Grace.

Its pretty funny to boot...oh and by the way

SHATNER!!!!!

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
It's a great DVD as well, as far as neat features go.
The creators actually apologize for it not being anamorphic due to bugetary constraints.
Its a fun low budget film that is best described as Clerks meets Swingers

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
It's one of my favorite "little" movies. It's a pure joy to watch. Especially fun is the terminology subtitle track that points out what every single sci-fi reference is (like when he says to his friend, "Would you PLEASE... sit... down!" the subtitle points out that this was said by Captain Kirk to Mr. Spock in Star Trek: The Motion Picture). Great stuff. Sad to say, I totally "got" this movie.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Nothing to be sad about. Any Trek geek can identify with this film and its geeky, LaserDisc-addicted protagonists.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I was told to absolutely make sure to see this movie. I watched it on VHS (eek), but bought the DVD when the opportunity presented itself. It's almost too inside to work, but it does. A guy I work with is the biggest Shatner fan, so I made him watch it as well. He also gives the movie big points for the Logan's Run homage and the disdain for "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

An interesting side note about this movie... I made quite a fuss about how unrealistic it was that a babe as gorgeous as Audie England would actually be into movies and comics and such. That is until I met an attractive woman who was the real-life equivalent of that character (she even said she was)... The guy in the movie got the girl but, alas, I did not.

James D S

Screenwriter
You me all psyched up. :)
*Gets in car and rushes down to Hollywood Video to rent this movie immediately!*

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
BTW how the hell did they get Shatner to play Shatner...as an insane asshole?
Supposedly, it was his idea. They had originally written it with him as a semi-divine character that dispensed wisdom and such, but Shatner wouldn't do it that way and got them to re-write with him as a neurotic. I thought the self parady was great.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Shatner is very self-deprecating. It could be because he got a reputation as being a jerk, so instead of being bitchy about it, he's laughing at it.

Shatner is always a riot on Conan O'Brien, and those Priceline commercials were funny.

Free Enterprise was great. Maybe I'll buy it.

The main character, I believe, is on Will & Grace, right? He's pretty talented, and I liked seeing him outside of that annoying sitcom.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If Free Enterprise becomes the official HTF movie, will "Beat the Geeks" become the official HTF game show? :)
Regards,
Edited to correct misspelling of Enterprise

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Not until you can get a thread that beats my Buffy thread! Muhuhahaaha, almost 4000 posts total and counting!

James D S

Screenwriter
Well I finally found it for rent (nowhere had it for sale :frowning: ) and just got done watching it.
Very fun movie. Although, it leaves me feeling a little ashamed at how many references I got. I need to get out more. :)
Recommended rental.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Well, "It's no 'Grand Illusion'"....
(My favorite line in the film.)
...But I think this movie speaks to all the film geeks in us. This is the closest any film has come to mentioning home theater and laserdiscs than I've ever seen. Shatner's performance is also completely intentional (and somewhat false, just like Stan Lee's cameo in "Mallrats"). I'd like to see more of Rafer Weigel too.
There's was a terrific interview around a year ago with director Robert Meyer Burnett in Widescreen Review, a great read about the film's making and Burnett's fascination with home theater and film tech.
The main character, I believe, is on Will & Grace, right? He's pretty talented, and I liked seeing him outside of that annoying sitcom.
I've always found Eric McCormack a funny actor, and this pre-Will and Grace performance is proof of this. Keep your eyes out on cable for the Victoria-filmed "Here's To Life!" which he stars in with Marya Delver (drool factor of 9 on this babe).
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks