What's new

Nokia getting hammered (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Despite all of the nice things the tech blogs had to say about the Lumia 920, Nokia's newest flagship Windows Phone, the truth is the phone is likely a non-starter. It didn't help that Nokia did not know when it would be released, which carrier would sell them, nor any release dates. Why are you hosting a launch event without those details locked down? That's total fail.

So even though the usual suspects were perfectly cordial about the hardware and software, the lack of details and the minuscule amount of people even interested in Windows Phone has disappointed Wall Street.

Nokia stock sinks as new Lumias disappoint

Josh Topolsky tweeted, "I'm excited about Windows Phone 8, but if someone could flawlessly hack Jelly Bean onto the Lumia 920, I would give them $500.[COLOR= rgb(34, 34, 34)]" He's not the only one who feels Nokia's talents are wasted on Windows Phone:[/COLOR]

Nokia Should Have Just Made An Android Smartphone

And in the "kicking you while you're down" department:

Nokia's new PureView ad is amazing, too bad it's faked

(Update) More kicking:

Nokia's PureView still photos also include fakes

As long as current Nokia CEO and former Microsoft honcho Stephen Elop is there, Nokia will stick with Microsoft. But at this rate, the question is, "how long"?

Here's the thing: Europe loves Nokia. And Europe loves Android. If Windows Phone fails again (and assuming Nokia is still around) maybe one day we'll see this match made in heaven actually consummate their relationship. Until then, Nokia will keep making "yeah, but" phones (as in, "yeah, but I don't want Windows Phone"). And there's a chance that Blackberry 10 could reopen its shrinking lead against Windows Phone to cement its status as the distant 3rd place operating system. Actually, this isn't out of the question -- there are a lot people who still love the Blackberry brand.

If they put out just one Nokia Android phone with a Pureview camera, it would probably be the biggest phone in Europe. It's like they don't want to succeed. Their foundering attempts at differentiating themselves with Windows Phone makes me think of a line from Mean Girls:

"Stop trying to make fetch happen."

It's not going to happen.

GeekyJenn

Auditioning
Real Name
Jenn Thompson
I think Nokia is coming up with some great hardware for smartphones recently, especially the Lumia 920 but like Josh, I would like the phone to run Android instead of Windows. As an average consumer, I want the variety of apps that are on offer.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
A third competitor is fine, but at this point in the game, it's such a difficult buy in because it's about ecosystems as much as OS, and MS is lagging so far behind in the app market.

On top of that, iOS and Android have almost 90% of the global smartphone market. And there are some market breakdowns that show that WP7 is not only lagging behind iOS, Android, and BB, it still hasn't caught up to Windows Mobile. People already struggle with Windows on their PC's. I guess they don't want to deal with it on their smartphones either.

Unless they have some brilliant marketing strategy, WP8 will fail badly. And take note that WP8 isn't a bug-fixed upgrade of WP7. It's a brand new OS built from the ground up. No one outside the high levels of Nokia and HTC even knows what it's like since MS won't let anyone touch it. All it needs is one bad feature or bug to completely torpedo it. And since this is Microsoft releasing a 1.0 piece of software, I'm going to bet there will be one or two of those.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It's like they don't want to succeed:

AT&T announces Nokia Lumia 920 exclusive, launches in November with Lumia 820

While there are probably issues surrounding the manufacture of both GSM and CDMA devices, the fact that Nokia's flagship WP8 device is only available to 28% of US subscribers on a carrier that is the prevailing iPhone seller and is pushing Android as an alternative to wean themselves off of Apple's teat, this is, to put it bluntly, a complete disaster. Notice how launching on all four carriers was the ticket for Samsung to dominate smartphone sales. AT&T exclusivity is like saying, "I give up".

Nokia has essentially written off the holiday season. Their marketshare needle will go nowhere now that they had to settle for AT&T.

At some point, as the Nokia headquarters are collapsing in flames, Stephen Elop will reveal that his father was the head of Ericsson and that this was all part of an orchestrated revenge plot. Because seriously, there's hardly any better explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks