Nokia 3586i - a rare, color CDMA phone

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter Kim, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

It's rare that Nokia makes CDMA cell phones...even rarer that the Finnish cell phone giant offers a color CDMA phone.

Since my annual contract had expired, I was about to jump ship to T-Mobile (GSM carrier). But when I called my carrier to terminate, they looked at the history of my account and offered a deal I couldn't refuse - $150 credit toward any cell phone or bill and a new, 'loyalty' contract (1000 Anytime minutes, including LD, Voice Mail, 3-way calling, call waiting & caller ID for $29.99/month).

Needless to say, I stayed and chose to replace my sturdy Motorola v60c with the new, Nokia 3586i. After the credit, coupled with a rebate, I ended up with $30 in my pocket.

I had never owned a Nokia product and was apprehensive about the culture shock - going from a stuffy, conservative phone to a trendy, 'toy' phone. Yet the Nokia badge, color screen, and polyphonic ringtones piqued my curiousity enough to trigger a change. However, I was fully prepared to exercise my 15-day trial period and exchange it for the v60 update (v60x).

Upon receipt, I was immediately impressed with the aesthetics of the phone. While not as compact, sturdy (plastic vs. metal construction), or sleek, the 3586i is a not as garish as some of the other Nokia offerings, offers a nice heft despite the plastic, and produces a stunningly bright and clear display/backlight. In fact, one of issues with the v60c was its paltry backlight - in many conditions, I could barely read the display.

Definitely not a problem with the Nokia - it's so bright, not only does it sufficiently light the display, it damn near illuminates an entire room. Nearly the entire body of the phone lights up when in use/phone rings. Outdoor in daylight/sunlight, the visibility seems to be adequate.

Most important criterion for me is a phone's RF. The 3586i appears to compare favorably to my v60c. In fact, so far all calls have come through and rang on the 3586i where the v60c seemed to send calls straight to voice mail more often than I liked. Call clarity sounds clean and strong, with the slightest bit of hiss, but that could be due to greater scrutiny as a result of a new phone. Not distracting, if noticeable at all.

I haven't had any complaints from folks at the other end of the line, so appears to be no problems there. Also, no dropped calls either.

The color display, while initially neat, is a novelty that I can do without. While I was initially concerned with battery life as a result of the color screen, it appears that the battery lasts for about 3-4 days of mixed use. This is more than adequate for me, since I charge my phone every evening.

I never had a problems with Motorola's menu navigation yet always heard about Nokia's highly vaunted navigation. After playing around with it for a few days, I agree that Nokia's menu is more intuitive and efficient

So I've decided the phone is a keeper. This decision comes before playing around with the wallpapers and polyphonic ringtones. Neither feature is one that I'll utilize much, but they're there and something to play with when bored. I did listen to the built-in polyphonic ringtones - very nice, fancy sounds, but I keep my phone almost entirely on vibrate.

For those in the market for a relatively cheap, color CDMA phone, check out the Nokia 3586i. Especially if your contract has expired. Only wish is that this phone included a bluetooth radio so I could connect to my Palm Tungsten T and surf the web/send email on the go. Although I've never used it, I don't think T9 is my cup of tea.

Nokia 3586i

2. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I had a Nokia TDMA (AT&T) and it was a good phone. Sturdy, replaceable faceplate but very menu driven. One button is used for sending and ending which can take some getting used to.

The battery in mine was croaking out coupled with me having dropped it enough to break the antenna so I ended up with a new phone. The battery would've cost more than a new phone.

I ended up with a new Panasonic Duramax which I've been very happy with.

TDMA sucks though so you're lucky you get CDMA.

3. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

5. Scott Strang

6. Scott Strang

7. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

Peter, great looking phone! I've always been very happy with Nokia.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

okay, what the heck is tdma vs. cdma? :b

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I liked my nokias, ditched my 8290 for a samsung PCS phone for a color screen, soon as my contract is up I'm GONE.

10. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

11. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor