Noisy pipe problem...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan M~, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

In the back of my HT room is a wall that contains the water and waste pipes from the floor above. The waste pipe is very noisy. I saw one of Bob Vila's (sp??) shows where they replaced the plastic PVC pipe with an iron pipe in order to quite the system. As I remember, it did not work very well. My pipe is PVC and I have temporary access to it. Any suggestions for killing the noise? Would a substance like "Black Hole" (pricey!!) work? Could some suggest an alternative? Those who have thier HT in basements must have to deal with this problem... Help!!
    -Dan M.
    ------------------
    -Dan M~
    My Small Collection

2. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

Since you have access to the wall cavity where the pipe is, I would suggest renting an insulation blowing machine and filling up the entire wall cavity with the pipe in it. That should quiet it down considerably. If you can't rent a machine you could always use fiberglass insulation and stuff it around the pipe. It will also quiet things up a bit but it won't be as affective as the blow in type.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

3. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Thanks Kevin,
    I tried wrapping the pipe with a 4" thick bat of insulation (as used in the outside walls). The sound of "trickeling" water was not reduced by any measure. I think I need to deaden the PVC pipe. I may try some auto sound deadener if I can find some cheap. I need about 10 square feet to cover the exposed pipe. I may then also add the insulation. and double up the drywall in that area.
    Thanks for the idea.
    -Dan M.
    ------------------
    -Dan M~
    My Small Collection

4. Gene Severn

Gene Severn Stunt Coordinator

You probably wrapped the insulation too tight!!! You might want to try and build a cavity around the pipe, maybe 2' square and fill it loosely with blown in insulation, or maybe 10' batts of fiberglass...

5. Jeff_Krueger

Jeff_Krueger Stunt Coordinator

Go to www.mcmaster.com and do a search for Acoustical Dampers you will find many different products that should do exactly what you need for cheaper than autosound damping products.
    Hope that helps.

6. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Tried doubling up the insulation last night, and yes, I kept it fluffed as much as the area would allow. The sound is in the mid frequencies, optimum for the human ear?? Once the drywall goes up, the insulation should help, but I am afraid that it will not be enough. The pipe seems to resonate with the sound. I am tempted to apply roofing felt to the pipe using a flexible RTV or silicone. Will these products attack PVC??? Its the black, waste pipe grade, PVC, probably Sch 80, i.e. thin walled. Any suggestions for the best adhesive to use? Hopefully the combonation of the roofing felt, insulation and drywall will completely kill the sound(s).
    Comments...
    -Dan M.
    ------------------
    -Dan M~
    My Small Collection
    [Edited last by Dan M~ on October 03, 2001 at 08:01 AM]

7. Howard_A

Howard_A Stunt Coordinator

I used a rubberized coating spray from the auto parts store on all of my vents and pipes. It was pretty inexpensive, as I recall, but I did need about five cans. I also used rolls of insulation in all the walls and ceiling. And I've got a layer of asphalt-impregnated sheathing beneath my layer of sheetrock. I've never noticed any noise from the pipes while the movie is playing. I notice a faint sound occasionally if the audio is off.