1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Noisy LD player...whine

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ColinM, Jun 11, 2002.

1. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I don't understand why different discs are louder and some are silent, but occasionally (usually) I hear quite a bit of mechanical noise from the spinning disc / components. Not a constant grind, but a 'chirping'. Maybe the laser isn't tracking well?
    Picture and sound are fine, but the mechanical racket can be horrible.

Any ideas what the problem may be and any solution?

RCA LDR-310 (1992)

I keep a backup player at a buddy's house. Maybe a swap is in order, but it's the infamous MDP-333 with a bad door, and it's not as pretty.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Colin, alot of players are winey. The disc makes like a big circular saw. Some of the heavier players are quieter. The LD-S2 and HLD-X9 are fairly quiet. I don't mind the whirrrr of LD players. I had to return two discs over the years that were out of balance weight-wise, proably(?). They looked fine but the first part several minutes of each disc would cause the player to shake like a washing machine on it's spin cycle! I mean, they made the player shake like it was possessed!

Most CLV discs are louder during the first part of a side when the disc is spinning faster. Towards the outside edge, the end of a side, it's quieter when the disc is spinning slower. CAV discs have a constant speed and the whirrr would be more consistent likewise. Best wishes!

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Thanks, Rachael.

I kinda like the silent whirr of the LD, in a retro kind of way.

It's the jit-jit-jit that drives me nuts.

Have a good day!

PS - Top 100 - 37 down, 63 to go.