Noisy Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ryan_Day, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Ryan_Day

Ryan_Day Auditioning

I have an old Akai AM-U01 amp running some extra speakers, and have just found the source of a humming sound that's been driving me crazy. It sounds like 60 cycle hum, but it's coming from the amp itself?? Is this the power supply? I plugged it into my Monster Power power bar, but with no change. I hope this is just some dirt or something I can clean out. Any thoughts/suggestions to fix the problem would be appreciated, as I like my antique amp and speakers. (Criterion 150A's, if anyone in the world has heard the name before)

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Ryan,

Have you tried the amp with a cheater plug bypassing the ground option? The noise might be from the electrical ground.

3. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

Also, if this is part of a whole HT system with TV, cable box or sat, etc., try disconnecting the cable feed. This can be a major source of ground loops and put a lovely 60Hz hum through your system.

4. Ryan_Day

Ryan_Day Auditioning

Maybe I wasn't 100% clear, the sound is being generated and heard INSIDE the amp, not out the speakers. The plug doesn't even have a ground plug, and no, there is no cable coming into this system. Any other thoughts?

5. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

that is transformer hum. means its a low quality transformer. nothing to do there but get a new one. it will eventually fail because the vibration will cause a short in the transformer, and eventually kill the unit.

6. Travis

Travis Second Unit

While I would probably agree with you just because of the age of the amp, just because an amp has a hum doesn't mean it's a cheap transformer. I have a Cinenova Grande 5 and it definitely has a transformer hum. I would think it's safe to say that a 4k amp isn't employing cheap transformers. [​IMG]

7. Ryan_Day

Ryan_Day Auditioning

Thanks everyone, I'll just live with it for now, it's going to be powering a sub eventually, so it will be tucked away and I won't care until it stops working.