What's new

Noises Off! : Disney gets it right for once (1 Viewer)

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Wow.

If nothing else, I hope they go with that collectors-item-worthy poster for the cover art. How long has it been since we could see:

- An upright Christopher Reeve
- The World Trade Center Towers
- John Ritter

all on the same piece of artwork?

I miss nostalgia.

BOMM,

CS

(who is now petrified that something bad is going to happen to Carol Burnett, Michael Caine, or Nicolette Sheridan!)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news.

BTW, if you ever get the chance to see the stage production, do so - it's far funnier as a live stage theatrical performance.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
It's not that Disney Home Video has gotten it right "for once", it's that they are maddeningly inconsistent. The Witch Mountain films and Apple Dumpling Gang are in OAR and enhanced for widescreen, Journey of Natty Gann is not. Many of their 80's and 90's releases are in pan-and-scan only, now here comes Noises Off! in widescreen.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There was a widescreen laserdisc, therefore a P&S DVD would be even more insulting.

At least I don't have to use the line I was planning to use in this case: "The people who make DVDs are mad at Carol Burnett."

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I'm all over this release. :)

BTW I saw Noises Off on Broadway in 1984, and never laughed so hard in all my 13 years of existence. While the movie is enjoyable, it is nothing compared to watching the slapsticky hijinks live and in person. Just a beautiful, wonderful memory of a truly funny show.

TonyDale

Second Unit
On a side note, it's interesting to follow the Dorothy Loudon/Carol Burnett connections:
Dorothy Loudon replaced Carol Burnett on TV's "The Gary Moore Show" when Burnett went off to do FADE OUT, FADE IN on Broadway.
Dorothy Loudon created the role of Miss Hannigan in ANNIE in washington, D.C. as well as its subsequent Broadway run, winning a well-deserved Tony Award for her efforts; Burnett inherited the film role.
Dorothy Loudon created the role of Dotty Otley when NOISES OFF premiered on Broadway, Burnett once again inherited the film role.
Loudon's appearances on film are few and far between, one highlight being a gun-toting matron in Clint Eastwood's MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL. She can also bee seen on Image's dvd of MY FAVORITE BROADWAY: THE LEADING LADIES as well as performing ANNIE'S "Easy Street" on BROADWAY'S LOST TREASURES.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
It's good to see that I'm not the only one who liked this film.

I saw it the weekend it came out, in a nearly empty theatre. I laughed hysterically. But, with all the negative reviews, I thought I was the only one.

Great to see it is OAR.

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks

I got a chance to meet Peter Bogdaovich last night, albeit very briefly. He was doing a presentation and book signing at the Louisville (KY) Free Public Library.
I asked him about his involvement in the upcoming Noises Off DVD. He said, "Call Disney and tell them to get the goddam thing out." I told him that it WAS coming out and he replied, "Oh, it is."
It kinda amazes me that Disney/Touchstone would not even make the director aware that one of his films is being released on DVD to see if he/she would want to be involved in the production of the disc or that they would not involve him in any way. Obviously Disney/Touchstone doesn't care about extra content of catalogue titles and just rush these things out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks