What's new

noise (1 Viewer)

Scott Connor

Auditioning
First time here. I finished my theater room yesterday. Set my equipment up. Calibrated everything. Then listen to a few select scenes from DVD's to hear how it sounds. And it sounded great. Then I hooked up the cable line. Got a terrble buzz through the speakers. Even with the receiver volume turned down. How can I fix this problem?

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Welcome to the forum Scott! Its sounds like your problem is interference. Try isolating the cable line as best you can from other wires, speakers etc. I'm sure someone else will have some suggestions too..
------------------
you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Scott, I second the welcome!
When you say cable, you mean cable TV? If so, welcome to the single most annoying thing about cable installations - ground loop hums!
There is a way to break this. One costs $100, the other, about $10. Which do you prefer?
The $100 is a box like the Mondial M.A.G.I.C. - it essentially eliminates the loop, hence the signal.
The second one is by Radio Shack. Warning! Some assemble required! If you are not handy with a screwdriver, DO NOT ATTEMPT!
biggrin.gif

What you do is get a couple of converters from Radio Shack. One takes the cable signal and converts it to an antenna signal (coax to two cables, a "TV Matching Transformer"), the other reconverts it (300Ohm to 75Ohm). It doesn't lose any, or very little, of the signal. But it also interrupts the ground loop.
I have one on mine, works beautifully.
Have fun!
P.S.: Mike Knapp was the one who passed this one along to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks