Noise reducing headphones - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BenP, Feb 14, 2002.

1. BenP

BenP Auditioning

Travel a bunch, and I was just on a flight with a guy who had a pair from Brookstone. They did a nice job of reducing the airplane noise, but I didn't get to listen to music. Anyone have any experience and recommendations. I noticed that Sony makes a couple different versions, but don't know if I can find a local place to listen...

TIA

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

An administrator for this fourm does a lot of flying. He discovered the Boise noise canceling headphones. At $300, they are not cheap, but he said they did the best job of anything he has tried before.

As much as we dont like Boise for HT systems, they do have some fairly nice technology for stuff like this.

3. BenP

BenP Auditioning

Yeah - Saw the Bose, but was hoping for something a little less expensive. Audio Advisor has the Sennheiser hdc 451-1 on sale for $99. Anyone have any experience with these?

4. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

If you go to headphone.com, theres this brand of headphone that says they give like 23dB isolation. I believe the name starts with an e.. but i can't remember it offhand and don't really have the time to search right now

5. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

Go to www.koss.com and look under their headphones section. You are looking for the one called "Earbuds", they are like the Sony earbuds except they have a small earplug attached to them via somthing called the "basstube". These are THE BEST out there. FLying is my profession and I have been less than pleased with bose and some of the other noise cancelling headsets. I've found the only way to beat the sound is with a good set of earplugs. The ones on the earbuds are extremely comfortable even for long trips, and the 'basstube' does a fantastic job of delivering deep bass to your ear at low volume levels.
    In the end, the earplugs cancel outside noise, the basstube delivers awesome bass, and because of the excellent nature of the Ear Buds, you can listen at lower volumes with better clarity. This results in a less fatiguing listening session.
    EVERYONE I've demoed this headphones to has gone out to get a pair. I had a friend that made me go with him right on the spot after listening to them so he could pick up a pair.
    I saved the clincher for the end...They cost between $15.00 and $20.00 depending on which Best Buy you get them at. Fifteen dollars! not a typo and they can be picked up at any Best Buy. You may have to search around for them but they are there.
    I just went to KOSS and they are listed at $14.99 direct from KOSS. It'd be better to just run down to Best Buy and get them, unless you want to wait. Also, the actual name is "The Plug" and they are under the portable headphones section.
    Jeff

6. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

The headphones i was referring to are the Etymotic Research ER4P - the P stands for power, in the fact that the 4P does NOT require a headphone amp as the ER4S does. I've never heard them myself, but they're said to be very good. They're basically a more expensive version of the Plugs that are referenced above. MSRP= $330
    Also, with regards to the Plugs, I'm in the process of trying to find the website, but I remember seeing a site about two mods for them..
    Edit: I found the website with the mods: http://headwize.com/projects/cmoy4_prj.htm

7. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

WOW, that was a great write up on how to modify the Plugs.[​IMG] [​IMG] . Mine were fine right out of the box, I used the earplugs that were on when I opened them and they worked great. When my wife got hers, her ear canal was too small and they kept sliding out as the foam expanded. We tried all the different plugs that came in the package, they give you a few different ones to try(Cylider Large,Cylinder Small, Conical Large etc) although I think it's more luck of the draw than planning on Koss' part. To fix my wifes, I used Ear plugs that I use for work.
    Here is the link, I use the "Spark Plug" and that's what I used on my wife's set. http://www.moldex.com/test97.html#b
    These are great ear plugs, comfortable and they work. The only bad part is that they only come in large doses, my package has about 200 pair. That's a lot of PLugs for most people, but I go through a set a week. Plus you have plenty of leftovers to make new and different plugs to suit your needs. I used a lighter to heat up a nail and pushed it through the plug to create the bass channel. I then had to trim it's overall length with some scissors as per my wife's previously addressed small ears. Bingo, worked like a charm and they didn't fall out anymore.
    The price for a 200 pair dispenser is only $30. So for a total of only $50 you have a great set of headphones that are small and don't require any power. Of course this assumes that the original ear plugs don't work very well, which for me they do.
    The only down side is that they are so quiet, if you are watching a movie on the airline, or listening to a cd, you wont be able to hear the Flight Attendant when she asks if you want more peanuts or a refill on your coke.[​IMG] They usualy figure it out and wave a hand in front of my face to get my attention.
    Jeff