Noise or poping from DVD player

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RichardRM, Apr 5, 2005.

1. RichardRM

RichardRM Auditioning

Apr 3, 2005

Just recently signed up to post this question and figured this area made the most sense.

Here is the problems description. When moving around in my DVD menu, and or switching chapters I get a Pop through to my speakers. The Pop magnitude correlates to my prepro volume settings so I find myself having to turn down the volume and/or Muting to prevent it.

This does not happen with any of my other equipment.

I have a Panasonic RP91 DVD player feeding via Digital COAX Audio to my Anthem AVM 20 PrePro and then MCA 50 & 20 amps to Paradigm speakers.

I am pretty sure this was not the case prior to having some service done on the DVD player. I cannot remember if it started right when I got it back and hooked it up, but definitely not before.

I haven't yet tried connecting the player via the optical option to see if this makes a difference as I do not have a spare kicking around, but this could be done by stealing the satellite box's cable for a bit.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys have experienced this and had any ideas what might be causing it? Also I was curious as to just how dangerous this was to my Anthem equipment and Paradigm speakers?

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

May 10, 1999

Now remember, I'm making this up out of the thick air in my office today (HVAC repairs,) and it has no basis in reality.

Normally, when a player's doing something - changing menu pages, chapter jumps, et cetera - it will apply a 'mute' to the digital bitstream. In essence, after the last 'good' frame of digital data, it starts putting out digital silence until the signal is synced up again, and then releases the digital mute.

It sounds like what may be happening is your player is not muting the signal, and so you may get a corrupted, partial frame as it begins to search, and then a jam-sync change as the new bitstream comes on line and the clocks line up again.

Given that this happens in a tiny fraction of a second, you get a tiny fraction of a second of noise - "Pop!"

An interesting test would be to wire up to the analog outputs of the DVD player and see if they pop, too. I suspect that they will, but if they don't, the shop probably screwed something up.

Of course, all of this is total conjecture.