What's new

Noise on High Def channels, and Audio Cuts in and Out on Digital Channels. (1 Viewer)

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
I recently had a problem with noise on my new DCT 5100 Motorola HD decoder. I never had noise with my previous Non-HD decoder.

I read a thread that said I should check my Coaxial Splitter and make sure that it was a 2Ghz capable. I had a 900Mhz installed. I switched them and that fixed the problem.

Why did this fix the problem? Is HD and Digital Audio broadcast at higher frequencies?

John S

Senior HTF Member
They say 1ghz is the absolute minimum for HD. Interesting, I'm glad I read this as I am getting ready to go buy one as well. A 2ghz one after reading this.

Thanks

RobbieF

Grip
I have been wondering this as well. I have a cheapo splitter on my antenna. The OTA HD seems fine, looks good with full signal.

From what I have gathered, you need the 2Ghz splitters for digital cable and satellite signals and would assume this would apply to over-the-air digital channels and HDTV as well.

Should I upgrade this splitter to a 2Ghz if I am not seeing any signal loss or dropouts? I mean there are no in-betweens as far as quality goes, you either get the signal or you don't, right?

Where is the limitation happening in the digital signal and how is the frequency it can pass related? Is it just the range of channels it can pass?

I know the splitter will decrease db gain (which is fine with me) but are all the 1s and 0s still coming through with the cheap splitters?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks