noise mitigationin ductwork

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Praissman, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Matt Praissman

Matt Praissman Auditioning

Hi, y'all...got a problem
    Here in the frat house I have a duct that's a shared air-return for the next room over. It's about six feet long, with air filters and grilles on each end, and a shared return duct in the middle that goes up to the roof. Being that this is a short duct, a fraternity house, and we're all loud, it's quite the medium for transmitting noise from one room to another. Anyway, the guy on the other end of it and I want to pick up some of this 'sound control board' we saw at Home Depot. It's in 4x8 sheets and it's a dark-brown felt/wood composite or something. We want to build a baffle right in the middle of the duct where the up-duct is, effectively splitting it into 2 discrete returns and stop the noise from going through the duct...any thoughts?
    Matt Praissman
    [email protected]

2. Matt Praissman

Matt Praissman Auditioning

Eek. Sorry. It's easy to post on other forums :

3. Mac F

Mac F Agent

it would probably help some, but don't expect perfection. You might also line the duct with fiberglass, if it is an older building with metal ductwork, this would be worthwhile; be sure not to overstuff the duct and block air flow
    i'm glad you posted, i had read about sound board, but didn't have any idea where to get it
    [​IMG]