What's new

Noise insulation (1 Viewer)

cts_casemod

Auditioning
Real Name
Carlos
Hi guys,

Question not directly related to home theater but to sound insulation, so assumed I could use some expert advise here.

I live near a busy road. The bedroom has a large 1.40*2.75m window which I'm planing to cover with an acoustic material such as Rockwool prorox.

I am given a choice of masses. Prorox 920, for example has a mass of 45KG/m3 with a semi rigid feel. Prorox 960 is a denser material at 100KG/m3 and harder shape, which also comes handy as it fits close to the window frame without the need of fixing materials (panels be easily removed as needed).

Would it be a wiser solution to simply chose the one with the larger (both will be 10mm thick) mass or are there any factors I should be aware of? Maybe a mixture of 50mm 920 (softer) and 960 on the back?

Just to clarify the idea is to block as much noise as possible from the outside environment. I'm not worried about internal noise reflection.

Many thanks

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
From my recent reading and conversations, you'd be well served by:
Put in layer of R19 pink insulation.
Install double-layer of 5/8" drywall, glued together with Green Glue and fit into the space (not compressing the insulation).

Basically, air gap plus mass gives sound mitigation. Insulation by itself is the least effective solution, and the more rigid the insulation, the worse for sound mitigation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks